ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

what does this passport stamp means?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

irfanmansuri
Newly Registered

what does this passport stamp means?

Post by irfanmansuri » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:37 am

hi, I was in UK on student visa and applyed for hsmp tier 1 in Apr 2008, with my earning documents.......which is of self employment so my tier 1 was refused and student visa was curtailed in June 2008, but they give me new stamp on my passport which is as follows;
RESIDENCE PERMIT
VALID UNTIL: INDEFINITE
TYPE OF PERMIT : CURTAILMENT
REMARKS: PREVIOUS LEAVE CURTAILED ,EFFECTIVE FROM DATE STATED

CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS STAMP AND CAN I TRAVEL ON THIS STAMP?????...........THANK YOU

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:10 am

It appears to be the stamp that shows your student visa was curtailed.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:16 am

That stamp confirms the student visa curtailment as the other post states. If you have not left the country you are an overstayer.

Bit confused - what do you mean by traveling on that stamp? Do you mean leaving the UK? If so it does not have any impact on leaving the UK. If you want to come back to the UK I suggest you start packing your bags today and fly out before the 1st October. Otherwise you will fall foul of the new rules and have at least a one year ban on returning to the UK once you leave.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:11 pm

Whilst concurring with the above interpretations, that the OP's leave has been curtailed and he should leave the UK as soon as possible, I think he has some justification in expressing confusion about the endorsement.
I haven't seen one of these, but if it really says - "Residence Permit Valid Until: Indefinite", then this gives rise to confusion, as no form of permission to reside is being granted.

He asks if he can travel on it - presumably back to the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if he presented that at many check-ins around the world and was allowed to board a plane, but he would of course be refused entry when he got here.

If he has a good case to apply for another visa to come back, he should indeed leave before 1st October - unless he appealed, and is awaiting a hearing?

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: what does this passport stamp means?

Post by sakura » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:51 am

irfanmansuri wrote:hi, I was in UK on student visa and applyed for hsmp tier 1 in Apr 2008, with my earning documents.......which is of self employment so my tier 1 was refused and student visa was curtailed in June 2008, but they give me new stamp on my passport which is as follows;
RESIDENCE PERMIT

CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS STAMP AND CAN I TRAVEL ON THIS STAMP?????...........THANK YOU
I can understand your confusion. It doesn't make sense to curtail your leave to remain with the words "Residence permit, Valid until: Indefinite"...

Actually, the more I read it, the more confusing it seems. Why would he have been given an indefinite residence permit in the first place?? :?

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Re: what does this passport stamp means?

Post by Mr Rusty » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:15 am

sakura wrote:
irfanmansuri wrote:hi, I was in UK on student visa and applyed for hsmp tier 1 in Apr 2008, with my earning documents.......which is of self employment so my tier 1 was refused and student visa was curtailed in June 2008, but they give me new stamp on my passport which is as follows;
RESIDENCE PERMIT

I can understand your confusion. It doesn't make sense to curtail your leave to remain with the words "Residence permit, Valid until: Indefinite"...

Actually, the more I read it, the more confusing it seems. Why would he have been given an indefinite residence permit in the first place?? :?
I think it is because when the geniuses decided to abandon wet ink endorsements in favour of supposedly more secure stick-in permits, they only thought about granting leave to remain and forgot about curtailment.

So the only sticker they have is headed "Residence Permit", and as the effect of curtailment is indefinite, that is the word they put in the space for "valid until".

It's totally inappropriate. Why on earth they can't just write "leave curtailed" across the existing visa/permit, dated with the 5-sided Home Office stamp, heaven only knows. It's not as if anyone's going to forge a curtailment endorsement, is it?

rockhall

Post by rockhall » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:50 pm

irfanmansuri,

basically what this says is that all of your leave has been cancelled indefinitely it was just nicely worded, so you have to pack your bags and leave ASAP before october 1.
They fail to realise we are nothing in this world! we can disappear in a split second.

bani

Post by bani » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:42 pm

It is really weird. They could have just stamped "Cancelled" on the old student visa rather than have this new resident permit/curtailment.

I've had visas cancelled twice in the past because the embassies made a mistake with the expiry date - so they stamped the visa "Cancelled Without Prejudice". So it can be done.

I'm confused too.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:18 am

bani wrote:It is really weird. They could have just stamped "Cancelled" on the old student visa rather than have this new resident permit/curtailment.

I've had visas cancelled twice in the past because the embassies made a mistake with the expiry date - so they stamped the visa "Cancelled Without Prejudice". So it can be done.

I'm confused too.
Indeed. In fact if they haven't put some form of endorsement on the old visa cancelling it, it is open to misuse.

The only thing I could think of is that the OP's passport with the student visa in it was expiring, and he submitted his new application with a new passport. So, they could only cancel the visa in the old passport, but instead of just leaving his new passport blank they stupidly put the only sticker in it that they have - a "Residence Permit".

That's only a guess, and perhaps the OP could enlighten us as to what actually happened - also why if his leave was curtailed in June, he's still here at the end of September? Did he appeal?

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:39 pm

Mr Rusty wrote:
Indeed. In fact if they haven't put some form of endorsement on the old visa cancelling it, it is open to misuse.

The only thing I could think of is that the OP's passport with the student visa in it was expiring, and he submitted his new application with a new passport. So, they could only cancel the visa in the old passport, but instead of just leaving his new passport blank they stupidly put the only sticker in it that they have - a "Residence Permit".

That's only a guess, and perhaps the OP could enlighten us as to what actually happened - also why if his leave was curtailed in June, he's still here at the end of September? Did he appeal?
Yes it is quite annoying. The OP should give the whole story and not just point to HO making weird inputs on the visa. If your new visa application was refused and the previous one is curtailed, why are we mulling over what does it mean? It means it is time for you to leave the country. I don't know why you are asking if you can travel. Your passport does not change due to the visa, you could travel on it before so I suggest you use it and not be daft about being able to benefit from any permission from the UK to remain in its country.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:39 pm

I can give a hint - student, and applied in the UK with evidence of their self employment, probably UK earnings....................

I think the OP may have fallen foul of the immigration rules and has been running a business or working full time:
Students
Requirements for leave to enter as a student
57. The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as a student are that he:.........................

(vii) does not intend to engage in business or to take employment, except part-time or vacation work undertaken with the consent of the Secretary of State; and
Just a guess, but more info would be nice.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:22 pm

PaperPusher wrote:I can give a hint - student, and applied in the UK with evidence of their self employment, probably UK earnings....................

I think the OP may have fallen foul of the immigration rules and has been running a business or working full time:
Students
Requirements for leave to enter as a student
57. The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as a student are that he:.........................

(vii) does not intend to engage in business or to take employment, except part-time or vacation work undertaken with the consent of the Secretary of State; and
Just a guess, but more info would be nice.
I had deduced as much. I raised an eyebrow when the student can earn enough money to attempt to apply for a tier 1 visa. Pretty cheeky. I guess the HO was not amused.

irfanmansuri
Newly Registered

Post by irfanmansuri » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:11 am

Mr Rusty wrote:
bani wrote:It is really weird. They could have just stamped "Cancelled" on the old student visa rather than have this new resident permit/curtailment.

I'm confused too.

yes i did appeal and appeal was refused and both cancelled and new stamp is on one passport. I have left the contry on 1st sep 2008 but my worry is new residence permit stamp which is not only on my passport but pn my dependent passport as well and it says previous leave curtailed so it has some connection with student visa which is curtailed and cancelled stamp is on student visa is there as well...........................BTW thank you very much for your reply