ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR and civil judjment

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

andretech
Newly Registered

ILR and civil judjment

Post by andretech » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:07 am

we didn't pay the council tax in full for 2006 - one day got a letter that court hearing alredy took place and we must pay off all the bills + court fee + fine or baileys will pay us a visit. We paid in full straight away.
surely we don't want to include it in the section 7 though .. do we have to ??? they're asking of criminal convictions in the UK or any other country (including traffic offences) or any civil judgments -?
council tax fine is it a civil judjment

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:43 am

I don't want to spook you, but failure to pay council tax is a criminal offence and you can go to jail for it.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:21 am

You were issued with a Small Claims Court summons? And then you paid straight away? If so then judgement was not entered against you, so nothing to disclose on the form.
John

andretech
Newly Registered

Post by andretech » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:34 am

paulp wrote:I don't want to spook you, but failure to pay council tax is a criminal offence and you can go to jail for it.
well we didn't reach that stage for sure - as i mentioned before we paid it in full straight away - my question is whether i need to include a council tax fine in my application for ILR??

you know they send the reminders if you don't pay council tax on time - and then tell u that you gotta pay for the whole year not by installments (we didn't pay for 2 months ) .
I didn't opened the envelopes and when opened it said that the court hearing took place and i need to pay £100 pound fine - i paid everything the same day .....

andretech
Newly Registered

Post by andretech » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:40 am

John wrote:You were issued with a Small Claims Court summons? And then you paid straight away? If so then judgement was not entered against you, so nothing to disclose on the form.

i was issued with a Small Claims Court summons and i as I didn't know about it (opened the envelope after that) i got another letter telling me that a Small Claims Court already took place and i need to pay a fine + court hearing fee (around £50) and all council tax bills

I all did the same day

thanks

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:00 am

John wrote:You were issued with a Small Claims Court summons? And then you paid straight away? If so then judgement was not entered against you, so nothing to disclose on the form.
John, the court hearing already took place and a fine was issued.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:49 pm

Check it again - are you sure it's a County Court Judgment from the Small Claims track?

With council tax, it's more likely to be an enforcement order from the Magistrates' Court.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

andretech
Newly Registered

Post by andretech » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:04 pm

avjones wrote:Check it again - are you sure it's a County Court Judgment from the Small Claims track?
With council tax, it's more likely to be an enforcement order from the Magistrates' Court.
many thanks - sry -you're right :

City of Westminster Magistrates' Court granted a liability order agains me for non payment of council tax totaling £££ including sammons and liablility order costs

i paid it in full and this liability order have not been sent to to the councils bailiffs

shall i include it in the application form for ILR pls ? thank you !!!

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:16 pm

avjones wrote:Check it again - are you sure it's a County Court Judgment from the Small Claims track?

Amanda, was it a civil or criminal judgement? I get confused because it's a civil matter dealt with by a criminal court.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:14 pm

Not sure, sorry - I don't think it's either. I'll try to find out.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:23 pm

If so then judgement was not entered against you, so nothing to disclose on the form.
It is my understanding that when you lose a small claims hearing it is an automatic CCJ on your credit file unless you prove to the court that the judgement was settled in full.

I used that to my benefit against a builder who was messing us around. I got three CCJs against him within the space of a month and his suppliers got spooked and withdrew all the credit facilities/credit accounts he had with them. It brought his business to a complete halt.

andretech
Newly Registered

Post by andretech » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:38 am

avjones wrote:Not sure, sorry - I don't think it's either. I'll try to find out.
thanks amanda !- it was a Magistrates' Court hearing .. now just wondering if i should mention it in my ILR application form ....
many thanks andrei

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:55 am

Better safe than sorry, i reckon. You won't be refused for mentioning it - you did pay ASAP, after all. But concealing it can upset the HO no end!

3crown

Re: ILR and civil judjment

Post by 3crown » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:59 pm

I'm just browsing SET(M) but we're 18 months away from applying but I'm already worrying about Section 8 & the 'Civil Jugements' section, I do have a CCJ (I'm the British Spouse), hub on 2 year spouse visa. Am I right in thinking so long as the CCJ isn't in HIS name we'll be ok? pls?

quote="andretech"]we didn't pay the council tax in full for 2006 - one day got a letter that court hearing alredy took place and we must pay off all the bills + court fee + fine or baileys will pay us a visit. We paid in full straight away.
surely we don't want to include it in the section 7 though .. do we have to ??? they're asking of criminal convictions in the UK or any other country (including traffic offences) or any civil judgments -?
council tax fine is it a civil judjment[/quote]

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:15 pm

Your husband is the applicant and the form is asking about the applicant only.

3crown

Post by 3crown » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:25 am

Thank you Paulp
paulp wrote:Your husband is the applicant and the form is asking about the applicant only.

mahin1110

TV licencing fine and naturalisation

Post by mahin1110 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:30 am

I received a megistrate court order to pay for my TV licence for which TV licence authority accused me by mistake. I actually had my licence for the period they claimed I did not have. Because of changes of address I never received court summons. Upon reciveing final court order I produced my licence and copies of bank statements showing Direct debit the court order has been withdrawn.

My question is should I mention this in my naturalisation application?

I have spoken to Naturalisation enquiry desk and they suggested me not to mention in the application form, but to provide a covering letter and proof of case withdrawn.

Please advice me.

Many thanks

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:50 am

The final court order, was it a fine or instruction to pay the tv licensing agency?

It seems to me that as you've got the supporting documents to prove that it's been withdrawn, you can mention it in the form and write (withdrawn, please see supporting documents) next to it.