ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US citizen & EU spouse living in UK to move to US

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

leshok
Newly Registered
United States of America

US citizen & EU spouse living in UK to move to US

Post by leshok » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:03 pm

Hi all,

I'm digging more and more into this and I want to make sure I have everything correct.

This website seems to do a decent job of explaining what to do but I still have a few questions:
https://citizenpath.com/form-i-130-processing-time/

1. So, we file from abroad Form I-130 ($535) and Form I-129F (nonimmigrant K-3 visa, no fee) at the same time .
2. We wait 6-9 months while I-129F & I-130 is processing.
3. Another month for a visa interview - then we can travel to the US together.
4. Form I-130 & I-129F is approved
5. Get to the US, she files I-485 ($1,225), I-795 (no fee because filed with I-485), and I-131 (same). She cannot work until work or travel until she gets approval from the latter 2 forms.
>This step will take many months as well.

Questions - 1. Does this sound right? Am I missing any steps or other forms?
2. How soon do we have to go to the US after I-129F approval?
3. If we go to the US after I-129F is approved, how will we get our papers back for I-130!? Should I put down my parent's US address in this instance?

Seems like the overall cost is roughly $1,800...

Thank you all!

leshok
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: US citizen & EU spouse living in UK to move to US

Post by leshok » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:36 pm

Ugh, I cannot edit.

She will be able to work with an approved I-129F, however, if she needs to obtain evidence she can work, she needs to file yet another form (I-765) - I think this fee is waived though.

It gets more confusing if they approve the I-130 first because that does not allow her entry into the US first, but the I-129F will - at least that's how I read it. I'm also reading that I-129F's are rare nowadays...

So... I apply for just the I-130, get approved, and at what point can she join me in the US and files the remaining I-485, I-795, I-131?

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-of- ... 2D3%20visa.