ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Detention and strip-searching of Nigerian priest

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:19 am

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 86238.html

[quote]Fr John Achebe (33), a parish priest in the central Nigerian city of Onitsha, was stopped by officers from the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) after arriving on a flight from Istanbul on Tuesday. He was wearing his clerical garb at the time.

He was taken to Cloverhill Prison, strip-searched and placed in a cell for the night with four other inmates. He was released the following day when the Nigerian ambassador, Mandu Ekong-Omaghomi, intervened with immigration officials and gave guarantees on his behalf.

Nigerian embassy spokesman John Ishaye said immigration officials should have checked with the embassy before sending him to jail. “We could have told them he was a reverend father and a man of certain standing,â€

MAKUSA
BANNED

A dearly beloved and incompetent Irish Immigration

Post by MAKUSA » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:31 pm

The guy said Brother, anybody who shows you respect and love can be your brethren irrespective of race or religion. The Doctor was his cousin but also his brother, People who deal with the public should be lessoned on being flexible and using their innitiative.

bloody foreigner

Post by bloody foreigner » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:36 pm

One can see how the GNIB might have become concerned, a little more knowledge of western culture on the Father's part would have stood him in good stead.

The oxford dictionary says:

brother
• noun 1, a man or boy in relation to other children of his parents. 2, a male associate or fellow member of an organization. 3, (pl. also brethren) a (male) fellow Christian. 4, a member of a religious order of men: a Benedictine brother. 5, N. Amer. informal a black man.

As far as I can see, only meaning 1 (and possibly 5, but we won't go there!) is appropriate in this circumstance.

Still, I think they went a bit far and I can se why the poor fellow is upset.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:55 pm

I think perhaps that First-Class Moron was also referring to definition 3, although I doubt very much that that was what the Nigerian priest was meaning (although as I don't know him and wasn't there I can't really say, of course).

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:43 am

bloody foreigner wrote:One can see how the GNIB might have become concerned, a little more knowledge of western culture on the Father's part would have stood him in good stead.

The oxford dictionary says:

brother
• noun 1, a man or boy in relation to other children of his parents. 2, a male associate or fellow member of an organization. 3, (pl. also brethren) a (male) fellow Christian. 4, a member of a religious order of men: a Benedictine brother. 5, N. Amer. informal a black man.

As far as I can see, only meaning 1 (and possibly 5, but we won't go there!) is appropriate in this circumstance.

Still, I think they went a bit far and I can se why the poor fellow is upset.
That's so funny! :lol:

To be honest, any immigration officer in any country would be suspicious if the entrant changed from "brother" to "cousin" or some other family relation. It generally shows that the entrant is making things up as s/he goes along, which is why s/he is making mistakes. IOs are also not responsible for knowing the differing terms and meanings of words in various cultures, so one shouldn't expect them to know that the entrant meant his own cultural definition of his relation to the Dr...

The strip-search was just ridiculous, though.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:31 pm

Well, a lot of people can be confused/nervous in an interview with immigration officials after a long flight(s)and a lot of cultures use brother/cousin interchangeably...doens't justify stripping them and throwing them into jail with criminals, especially if they had valid visas. I have a hard time explaining this without considering beloved against black africans.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:12 pm

irishtimes.com wrote:He was wearing his clerical garb at the time.
bloody foreigner wrote:...
3, (pl. also brethren) a (male) fellow Christian.
This has to do with a certain culture, and that culture is called "Christianity". Can anyone fill me in what culture most Irish (at least officially) follow? If I remember correctly that happens to be... "Christianity". Hmm - strangely the two sound pretty much the same... /ironic

This is not about understanding "other" cultures. Whoever doesn't know the meaning of "brother" in this regard does not have a good educational background. This includes IO's.
archigabe wrote:...I have a hard time explaining this without considering beloved against black africans...
I am having the same hard time.

MAKUSA
BANNED

The fact that he

Post by MAKUSA » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:16 pm

Was a priest should have warranted proper investigation by the immigration officer, how would the Irish feel if they locked an Irish priest up in jail with criminals because of an immigration issue. An eye for an eye is the only way to deal with cases like this.

archigabe

Concern over airport treatment of tourist

Post by archigabe » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:17 pm

Concern over airport treatment of tourist

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 21915.html
TOURISM OFFICIALS expressed concern to the Department of Arts and Tourism earlier this year about the behaviour of immigration officers at ports of entry after an Indian man who won a trip to Ireland in a State-sponsored competition reported suffering harassment and facial discrimination at Dublin airport.

He won the trip at an event organised by Tourism Ireland in Mumbai to promote Ireland as an attractive holiday destination.

Newly released documents show the prizewinner wrote to Tourism Ireland on March 2nd to complain of his treatment at Dublin airport. He outlined how, despite his having the required tourist visa and carrying a letter from Tourism Ireland, immigration officers insisted they did not believe the letter was authentic.

"[An officer] then asked us who had booked our hotel. We told him it was done by Thomas Cook in Bombay. He said that can't be possible as why would Ireland Tourism [sic] book through Thomas Cook as they were a British company. We didn't know what to say."

He alleged many other Indian passengers were treated unfairly. "It was only the Indians who were being photographed at the immigration counter. It was clear-cut facial discrimination. Whole thing was very embarrassing."

According to correspondence released to The Irish Times under Freedom of Information rules, Tourism Ireland responded to convey its "deep regret" to the prizewinner over his experience. "We are all very upset and embarrassed about the incident and will be taking it up at the highest levels with the Government department concerned . . ." the agency said.

The following day, an official from Tourism Ireland sent an e-mail to a counterpart in the Department of Arts and Tourism. "Another shock story about immigration," he wrote. "We really need to do something about it. The friendliest destination in the world???"

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:28 pm

A couple of welcome news on the same issue...

Refusal stamp on priest's passport cancelled

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 25486.html

Call for more scrutiny of immigration officers

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 25505.html

sashasolar

Post by sashasolar » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:48 pm

Here is what Minister said in Parliament about this case:

178. Deputy Pat Rabbitte asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if he is in a position to supply the information in his answer to Parliamentary Question No. 659 of 5 February 2008; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [31678/08]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): I have asked the Garda Commissioner for an immediate report on the matter and expect to be in a position to communicate with the Deputy shortly.

Immigration Procedures.

179. Deputy Michael D. Higgins asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if, following the detention of a person (details supplied) at Cloverhill Prison overnight and being strip searched in front of prison officials although the person’s paperwork was entirely in order and the person was merely seeking to travel to Limerick to visit relations, he has received a report on the incident; and the measures he has taken to ensure an apology has been made and an assurance that such an incident will not recur. [31683/08]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): First of all it is important to set out the legal provisions that govern entry to the State of foreign nationals. Every person landing in the State, including the holder of a visa, is obliged, pursuant to the provisions of section 11 (2) of the Immigration Act, 2004, to furnish to an immigration officer such information in such manner as an immigration officer may reasonably require for the purposes of the performance of his or her functions. The fact that a visa is a permission to present at the frontiers of the State but does not guarantee entry to the State was confirmed by the High Court as recently as 23rd May 2008 (Emmanuel Omatayo James & Others - V - Minister for Justice, Equality & Law Reform).j At section 4 of the Immigration Act, 2004, provision is made for an immigration officer to authorise a non-national to land in the State. However sub-sections (3) of section 4 enumerates, at (a) to (k) fourteen circumstances in which an immigration officer, may, on behalf of the Minister, refuse to give a person a permission to land in the State. The circumstances, any one of which may give rise to a permission to land being refused, include, the fact that there is reason to believe that the non-national intends to enter the State for purposes other than those expressed by the non-national. In performing his or her functions under the Immigration Act, 2004, an immigration officer is obliged, pursuant to the provisions of the Act, to have regard to all the circumstances of the non-national concerned known to the officer or represented to the officer by him or her.

The Garda National Immigration Bureau dealt with the case of the person who is the subject of this Parliamentary Question in accordance with these provisions. In this instance, I am advised that the applicant claimed he was visiting a named person he identified first as his brother and then as a cousin - when, in fact, they are not related. This fact was established when telephone contact was made with the named person. This was a significant factor in the Immigration Officer’s decision.

As regards the committal of the person concerned to Cloverhill Prison on 9 September I am informed that he was processed through Reception in line with standard practice. He would not have been in the line of sight of anyone other than prison officers searching him. He was also treated as all other committals in accordance with Irish Prison Rules. Such searching is entirely appropriate and necessary to ensure the security and safety of the prison and the health and safety of the individual concerned. In line with Standard Operational Procedures, the individual was seen on Landing D1 on the morning of 10 September as a new committal. I also understand that the records indicate that the Rules and Regulations were explained to him and a phone card application was issued. No complaints were recorded. The person concerned also received two visitors while in Cloverhill Prison and was discharged to the custody of the Garda National Immigration Bureau on the evening of 10 September 2008.

There is no doubt that the individual was very distressed by these events. However, I am satisfied that both the Immigration and Prison authorities fully complied with all the necessary legal and administrative procedures in their handling of this case. I am also satisfied that the individual was treated with courtesy and respect at all times.

Finally, may I add by way of general comment that many individuals attempt to enter the State illegally by circumventing normal immigration procedures through deception or misrepresentation. In this regard it may be of interest to note that there was a case at Dublin Airport last July in which a person purporting to be a priest and who was wearing clothing typically worn by a cleric, was refused leave to land and subsequently admitted that he was not in fact a priest. Such deception is a global phenomenal that puts an onus on immigration authorities worldwide to strike a balance between the detection of illegal movements while at the same time facilitating the efficient throughput of bona fide passengers. I am satisfied, having regard to the multitude of passengers that pass through our ports annually (25 million in Dublin Airport alone) that the Irish Immigration authorities strenuously work to achieve that balanced but effective approach.