ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

non eu student marrying eu student abroad - help

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jsurferguy

non eu student marrying eu student abroad - help

Post by jsurferguy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:41 pm

Hi, my fiancee and i are planning to get married next year in january in south africa. I am currently on a student visa and has been since december 2002 and will expire in october 2009 . My fiancee is currently studying as well here and has been registered under the wor registration scheme for more than a year, we have been together for 3 years now.

My question is, as we are planning to get married abroad, not all memebers of her family will be able to attend the wedding, so we have decided to go to her country of birth, lithuania, and do a civil wedding in november.
When returning to uk, we are planning to move in together.

Can anyone please advise me on the visa procedure as i have been told so many different things from different people.

Should i apply for the family residence permit when i come back ?

thsths
United Kingdom

Re: non eu student marrying eu student abroad - help

Post by thsths » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:54 pm

jsurferguy wrote:Should i apply for the family residence permit when i come back ?
Lithuania is one of the ascension states, so there are certain restrictions in place. I am not sure about the details, but she may have to register with the WRS, although this may not be relevant for students.

You should be eligible as a dependent, and since this is a European application, you can switch in country once you are married. Since you have a valid visa, you do not have to apply for an EEA Family Permit, but you can if you like.