ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK ID card for application of ILR in Feburary,2009

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

extrovert

UK ID card for application of ILR in Feburary,2009

Post by extrovert » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:05 am

Hi

My spouse visa is expiring in Feburary,2009. I will need to apply for an ILR then. I have already passed Life in the UK test last year.
Whilst reading the news today I realised that I may need to apply for the ID card in November, 2008.

I wonder if anyone could please explain whether it will be compulsory to apply for an ID card in November, 2008 before I appy for an ILR in Feb, 2009?

What are the possible affects of that on ILR application or on naturalisation application when time comes.

Will passport superceed the ID card?

any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:47 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

thsths
United Kingdom

Re: UK ID card for application of ILR in Feburary,2009

Post by thsths » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:01 am

extrovert wrote:My spouse visa is expiring in Feburary,2009. I will need to apply for an ILR then. I have already passed Life in the UK test last year.
Whilst reading the news today I realised that I may need to apply for the ID card in November, 2008.
To be honest, so far the released information is highly contradictory. One source says that ID cards will be issued together with visas, another says they are a requirement before you can apply.

My guess is that the introduction will be late and riddles with technical difficulties.

To answer your question: it is probably best to check again in November, maybe by then the government is able to state in a consistent way what they are actually doing.
Will passport superceed the ID card?
No, and that is the "funny" part of the scheme. They give ID cards to people that already have a passport - whereas natives may have neither.

AzimScot

Post by AzimScot » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:34 pm

I think there still discussing it and maybe that date maybe gets changed.

extrovert

ID card may not be required for ILR.

Post by extrovert » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:20 pm

In my understanding of the latest news regarding ID card, it may be required for any FLR applications for overseas students and for spouse visa FLR visaa but may not be required for ILR application as ILR was never mentioned anywhere. Correct me if I am wwrong.