ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport expiry while with naturalisation office?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MlleJules
Newly Registered
Ireland

Passport expiry while with naturalisation office?

Post by MlleJules » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:02 am

Hi all,

I am trying to decide if / when to make my naturalisation application. It would be on the basis of 3+ years' residency and married to an Irish man. I have both US and British citizenship already and both associated passports.

I intend to send in my British passport with my application (and keep hold of my US one), but my British passport expires 21 April this year. So by the time they come to process my application it will probably already be expired, although it wouldn't have been when I posted it.

Do you think this would be problematic and create delays with my application? I am imagining a scenario where they send the passport back and tell me they won't continue with my application until I submit a fresh passport.

I am essentially ready to submit now, having completed everything except for the witnessing of signatures. Please let me know if you think I should wait until I have gone through the probably very long process of renewing my British passport. Thanks!

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Passport expiry while with naturalisation office?

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:08 am

they won't continue with my application until I submit a fresh passport
This is not going to happen. Just send the passport and ignore the expiry date.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:24 am

You can send both passports. It is mentioned on the form that all passports valid during residency have to be submitted. I sent both Russian and American passports, however since you're UK citizen, your UK passport will be enough as long it's valid at the time of signing the declaration.
In my case it didn't matter, as both Russians or Americans are subjects to immigration restrictions and need residence permit to live in Ireland, unlike UK citizens.

The worst that could happen is that they will write to you in the future and ask for a copy of renewed UK passport.

MlleJules
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by MlleJules » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:32 am

I am planning to send a photocopy of the ID page of my US passport but not the passport itself; this allows the possibility for me to still travel at least, since it looks like they will be taking a long time to return passports.

I cannot apply for a renewed British passport without sending in my old one, so of course if they do ask to see a renewed passport, that would be a significant delay. It's hard to know if perhaps I should try to do the renewal first. :?

Edit: thank you for the answers so far, btw!