ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Application Queries - Not a straight forward history - Please help

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

greg89
Newly Registered
Greece

Citizenship Application Queries - Not a straight forward history - Please help

Post by greg89 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:31 am

Hi All,

I'll try and explain my history here in as much detail as I can and hopefully, I can get some answers. It's worth noting that I did search through the forums for similar cases but I guess everybody's its different.

History:

March 2001 - Arrived in UK with my family from Albania - I was aged 11 at the time - Applied for Asylum on same day.

June 2006 - Asylum case refused - Father decided to stay in the hope for an amnesty in the future

March 2009 - HO barged into our home at 3 am and we were removed on the same day back to Albania. I've found an old letter but it is only addressed to my sister who at the time was 3yrs old - The letter stated the following "NOTICE OF IMMIGRATION DECISION (In compliance with the immigration (Notices) Regulations 2003 made under section 105 of the Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act 2002) - DECISION TO REMOVER AN ILLEGAL ENTRANT/PERSON SUBJECT TO ADMINISTRATIVE REMOVAL UNDER SECTION 10 OF THE IMMIGRATION AND ASYLUM ACT 1999.

September 2011 - I arrive back in the UK as an EU National having successfully acquired my greek citizenship through the ancestry route (Both grandparents were Greeks living in Albania). Also due to the difference in alphabets my name in Greek is written slightly differently. Eg (Not my real name btw but close) Albanian: Gian Xhiloxhiu, Greek: Gian(is) TziloTziou - A male name in greek needs to end with a (is, os) the Xh in Albanian is translated as a TZ in Greek, and a U in Albanian is OU in Greek.

Oct 2011 - I start a Degree at Uni; While a student I had two jobs, one while being at Uni (year 1/2) and one in my sandwich year(year 3), both paid, year 4 no job just focusing on graduating.
2015- I graduate and start a full-time job, to which I am still currently employed
2017 - Buy a house on mortgage
2018 - Get Married to EU national while in UK
2019 - Apply for settled status - Granted
2019 - Baby is born and applied for British Passport - Passport approved.
2020 - Register my own Company via Companies house but still remain as a Full-Time employee at my other workplace.
2021 - Time to apply for British Nationality.

I have a few questions which are concerning me and could prove crucial in the application:

Questions:

1. In regards to my name, do you believe that I should state this at the end of the application?
It is worth noting that in any applications I've made previously and where it asks about being known by a different name previously I always answer No as in my eyes it is not a different name, I haven't changed it, it is just written differently if there is a section at the end I always explain this. Also I held an old account with Natwest at the time and I went there with my new ID and they changed my name, so in all the credit checks the name switch is visible and dated 2011.

I always worry about this because on one hand if you say no they could interpret it as a lie, but if you say yes it is also not true as

2. - Have you made any previous UK immigration applications in the UK or abroad? I have put the settled status application on there, do I need to put the asylum application too, considering I did not make it, it was my father at the time and I was a minor, the question says Have you, truth is apart from the settled status I haven't myself.

3. Good Character - I note that they look back 10 years, given that we were removed in 2009 (and to my knowledge we were not banned from re-entering) will the asylum application be taken into consideration considering it was 12 years ago.
My mother also received a RP in 2012 based on my father exercising his EU Rights, I guess if there was a ban of some sort it would have come upon her application for a visa, then a PR?

It's worth noting that I haven't received any speeding fines, never been arrested, no points on licence of any sort of criminal convictions. I also hold SC clearance which funny enough was a requirement from my workplace for working with the HO on sensitive systems :) and it was sponsored by the HO.

4. In the employment section do I need to specify I'm a director of my own company (accounts not due yet - may 2021). This isn't my main job and I note that it does not allow me to stipulate the role for additional employments, it also requires an end date which again I can't give as the company is still live. I've put my job that I started in 2015 as the current job.

5. Regardless of the above, can I even apply for another Citizenship considering I already have two? Greece, UK and Albania allow dual-citizenships but I've struggled to find information on whether Greece or Albania allow more than two, I believe the UK does.

If the UK does allow multiple citizenships which I'm pretty certain it does and let's assume that one of the other countries doesn't allow more than 2, would they grant me their citizenship regardless of the laws of the other two countries involved? I mean would they just grant it me because UK Law allows it, and leave it up to me to deal with the other two countries if theirs don't?

I'm sure more questions may spring to mind but at this late hour this is all I have, I hope I've given enough information here for somebody to give me some guidance, however, if you seek further clarity in any of the above then I will gladly answer.

Thanks,
Gregg

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Citizenship Application Queries - Not a straight forward history - Please help

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:30 am

Hello

In your case, it's worth uploading a side note with your citizenship application explaining briefly your immigration history.

Immigration breaches older than 10 years ago are usually not held against you and specifically the ones where you were under the control of an adult are disregarded even if they happened less than 10 years ago. Your father applied for asylum for the entire family including yourself. So technically, there must be an application with your name somewhere.

You didn't change your name. From country to country, they write names slightly differently according to their own alphabet and conventions. It's not technically a name change as you never went to a court and asked to change name. It's just written differently.

The Home Office is really thorough when it comes to citizenship applications. They can uncover things that were missed or not even checked during an ILR application. Two things you want to avoid:

1 - Them finding something significant you didn't disclose and considering your were deceptive in your citizenship application. That leads to a refusal and for 10 years+ (sometimes forever) you can't apply for British citizenship.

2 - Them finding major discrepancies between your citizenship application and your previous immigration applications such as the ILR. In that case, even if you are 100% truthful in the citizenship application, they may consider that your were deceptive during the ILR application and then refuse your citizenship application on good character ground.

The UK accepts you having multiple citizenship. When they give you the British citizenship, they don't care or consider the consequences on your other citizenship(s). You are responsible for these consequences, not the Home Office. That's to say, they are not going to warn you or refuse your UK application on the basis that another country might revoke your existing citizenship.

You need to see what are the rules with Albania and Greece. Usually, countries are within one of these categories:

1 - Dual citizenship not accepted or accepted only in certain conditions such as: you received the other citizenship automatically without applying for it, or you applied for a citizenship of a country they allow (such as EU...)

2 - Dual citizenship accepted without restrictions

But the number of citizenships doesn't count. You can have 10 different passports if you want, the equation is the same as if you had 2.

greg89
Newly Registered
Greece

Re: Citizenship Application Queries - Not a straight forward history - Please help

Post by greg89 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:55 pm

Hi,

Thank you for coming back to me. Can i please have some clarity on the below?

1. Do I upload a document or is there a section I can write down my immigration history - Also where it asks "Have you made any previous UK immigration applications in the UK or abroad" - Do i need to list this on there?

2. So should i also tell them that my name is just spelled differently or leave it as is?

3. In regards to the ILR Point - i take it for me this is the settled status application i made. To be fair it did not grant me settled status right away because they required some more information about 2014/15 i believe while i was a student so i gave them my degree and maybe something else(cant remember) and they granted me the settled status - every other check was done by them i suppose.

4. Date of first entry in the UK - Do I use the date I can when we came as a family back in 2001 or 2011 when i came as an EU Student?

5. Do I need to state the new company I incorporated? As state previously it does not give an option to add multiple live employments, only a current one and previous ones.

6. In regards to dual-citizenship - Fully understood I'll check with the other countries but I'm sure they are ok too :)

I did have one final question, why would they ban me from re-applying if it failed because the information that was missed was unintentional, with time events do fade in memory. If i forget something it will not be of serious consequence as I have not been arrested or given any court judgments etc. Would they simply not seek clarity and come back to me rather than fail?

Thanks,
Greg

greg89
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by greg89 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:19 pm

Hi All,

Can anybody answer the above for me?

Thanks,
Greg