ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions pertaining to citizenship application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Dimple1973
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Questions pertaining to citizenship application

Post by Dimple1973 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:53 pm

Hello everyone!

I was hoping to get some advice please.

I got my ILR on 5th Feb 2021 (5 year spouse visa route). Now I am looking to apply for naturalisation and had some questions:

1) I am aware that being the spouse of a British citizen, I don't have to wait for 12 months after ILR before I can apply for citizenship; but I don't know is what I am to select when starting the online application; do I choose the application under 'Apply as a spouse of British Citizen' OR am I applying under 'Apply for a citizenship with ILR'? Or does it not matter because they both lead to the same online application? In haste I have started an application under 'Apply for a citizenship with ILR; but now I wonder if that is correct. And if that is the wrong category to apply under then how do I cancel that application (not yet submitted of course) and start a new application under the correct category?

2) One of the questions on the application was....'Do you have any dependents not applying with you at this time'? Can I presume that the answer here is 'No'? My husband is a British citizen and my son (even though my dependent) is also a British Citizen.

3) With regards to referees, I am wondering why 'Doctor' is not considered as a professional? Also, how do they validate whether a referee is a professional or not; do they ask for information on their profession in the application form?

4) Seems like there are no firm timelines on when the naturalisation applications are being approved; many people have been waiting longer than 6 months whereas I have also come across people who got their decision in a matter of a couple of months. I am confused about when to apply and here's why.....I haven't been back home to see my family in India for 2 years; so I would like to visit them this summer (circumstances permitting of course). What if I apply and then a decision comes through quickly and I am expected to attend a citizenship ceremony before my trip to India? I would have to give up my ILR BRP and wait until I get British passport before I can travel. When the application is approved, how soon do you get the letter advising you to book a citizenship ceremony? I have heard that many people have got their letters late which left them very little time to contact the local authority and book their ceremony within the timeframe. And also heard that some people did not get their approval letter and just got the letter asking them to book their citizenship ceremony. Also, do you then contact the local authority to book the ceremony or does the local authority just assign you a date? Are you able to request an alternate date if the one they provide is not convenient?
As I go through the application, I am likely to have more questions and will reach out here. I am sorry if I sound confused and anxious.....it's because I am!

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Questions pertaining to citizenship application

Post by zimba » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:35 am

1) You should select the other option as the online form uses your answers to gather relevant information as per your circumstances
2) Correct
3) Doctors were dropped from the list as many complained for being approached constantly by their patients. UKVI perform their own background checks on the referees.
4) Ceremony booking is not forced on you. You will be asked to arrange this with your local council. I suggest not to make assumptions based on other people's experiences
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Dimple1973
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Dimple1973 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:34 pm

Thank you so much for your prompt and helpful reply Zimba.

About question 1, am I correct in assuming that you are suggesting that I should start the application under 'Apply as a spouse of British Citizen'? If so, will it let me start a new application under this category under the same username / credentials if I already started (albeit in haste) an application under 'Apply for a citizenship with ILR'?

herrrr
United Kingdom

Post by herrrr » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:22 pm

Dimple1973 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:34 pm
Thank you so much for your prompt and helpful reply Zimba.

About question 1, am I correct in assuming that you are suggesting that I should start the application under 'Apply as a spouse of British Citizen'? If so, will it let me start a new application under this category under the same username / credentials if I already started (albeit in haste) an application under 'Apply for a citizenship with ILR'?
I believe they lead to the same form. The form will then ask a question that if your spouse/partner if BC. Personally I can’t remember from which portal I entered into - my form’s checklist contained universal requirements that suit both scenarios. Anyone correct me if I’m wrong as it’s well possible I entered through apply with ILR portal and it would be a bit worrying now!

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:59 pm

I repeat that the online form uses your answers to gather relevant information as per your circumstances. Your previous answers can affect the next questions asked on the form but this does not necessarily lead to a different application.

You should not treat answering the questions quite literally as if this is full disclosure (i.e. stating what is true about your circumstances). The applicants then become confused because some or even all options to a given question may apply to them. This is why you should choose an option that describes your circumstances the best.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice