ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Requesting British passport for American daughter. Why are birth certificates needed?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

someotherperson
Newly Registered

Requesting British passport for American daughter. Why are birth certificates needed?

Post by someotherperson » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:30 pm

I'm a dual national British American
I'm British born and live in the USA

My daughter is American born and qualifies for a British passport because I'm British born; she is of British descent.

I'm applying for her British passport and am told I need to send original birth certificates in the mail to the UK. I need to send one parent's birth certificate and all paternal/maternal grandparents. This seems ridiculous!

Since only one parent is needed to be British born for eligibility, why are all the grandparents birth certificates necessary? And why do I need to send my birth certificate when my passport already indicates my place of birth is in the UK? I'd rather not need to send an old document in the mail.

Not all of my daugher's grandparents are still living and maternal/paternal side live in different Contintents. It is ridiculous for me to need to obtain their original birth certificates (very old documents) and send them in the mail. And also, why need all grandparents birth certificates and yet only one parent's birth certificate?

vinny

Re: Requesting British passport for American daughter. Why are birth certificates needed?

Post by vinny » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:10 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

someotherperson
Newly Registered

Re: Requesting British passport for American daughter. Why are birth certificates needed?

Post by someotherperson » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:51 am

I was born in 1981

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:54 am

Then I think they shouldn’t require grandparents’ details.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

iceman809
Taiwan

Post by iceman809 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:19 am

My situation is basically the same as that of yours. My daughter is 10 years old and has American citizenship. Yesterday, she carried out biometric registration. At the same time, in addition to my daughter’s passport, she also scanned the birth certificate. Remember to bring the original. good luck