ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for citizenship after ILR(m)- questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

redballoon
Newly Registered
Philippines

Applying for citizenship after ILR(m)- questions

Post by redballoon » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:30 pm

Hi all,

I just got my indefinite leave to remain as spouse to a British citizen, and we are applying for my citizenship. I want to make sure to get everything right as we are doing it alone and would really appreciate some guidance on the following....

1. In the AN guidance it states: "if you used one of these documents when you took the Knowledge of Life in the UK test you will be expected to use it again by enclosing it with your naturalisation application." I used my BRP for ID when I did the Life in UK test, but that one has expired now - will this be requirement be met using my new BRP? I assume it must do since I had to return the old one!

2. I only need to have been in the UK exactly 3 years before the date of my application, correct? not both 3 years before and 5 years before? the only 2 times I traveled were around 3 and 5 years ago, so I need to be sure! if I apply now I will NOT have been here 5 years ago, but WOULD have been here 3 years ago.

3. For proof of residence, is it true I only need to provide my passports for this? I read similar in the forums. I do have a gap where my old passport expired and I didnt yet renew, but of course I wouldn't have been able to travel in this period so hopefully it wouldnt be an issue. Should I just upload 3 years worth of documents similar to what I did for the ILR application to be sure?

thank you!!!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Applying for citizenship after ILR(m)- questions

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:16 pm

1. Your current BRP and Passport(s) are fine -not sure why they state this requirement still.

2. It's for the 3 year period in your case.

3. Passport(s) are fine for residency proof. If there's a sizeable gap between passports provide P60s or Council Tax bills to cover the gap. No need to submit three years worth of documents.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.