ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What is third country passport & CoE-ROA minimum validity, for travel to UK?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Bobthemoggie

What is third country passport & CoE-ROA minimum validity, for travel to UK?

Post by Bobthemoggie » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:17 am

Hi Helpful members,

What is the minium validity of the passport required for International travel to UK?

Child having third Country passport & a CoE-RoA vigette, placed inside the passport.

1) Will child be able to travel once passport & the CoE-RoA is less than circa 6 months from its expiry?
What is the general experience of boarding with airlines in situations wherein travelling from outside EU to UK.
Do we need to show return ticket to airline (like BA / Virgin Atlantic etc..)?

2) In another situation, If passport alone is renewed but if CoE-RoA is kept in old passport & not renewed.
And if CoE-RoA is less than 6 months from its expiry then in that situation will we be able to travel?

Please suggest
Cheers

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: What is third country passport & CoE-ROA minimum validity, for travel to UK?

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:22 am

CoE is only valid for as long as a passport is valid. If the passport expires, a new CoE must be applied for. CoE must be valid in a new passport.

No minimum passport validity but both passport and CoE must be valid to travel.

Return ticket NOT required.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Bobthemoggie

Re: What is third country passport & CoE-ROA minimum validity, for travel to UK?

Post by Bobthemoggie » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:39 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:22 am
CoE is only valid for as long as a passport is valid. If the passport expires, a new CoE must be applied for. CoE must be valid in a new passport.

No minimum passport validity but both passport and CoE must be valid to travel.

Return ticket NOT required.
Thanks. CR001
1. In general experience, does Airlines (BA/Virgin Atlantic etc..) allow to board if passport is less than 6 months from expiry, while flying to UK?
2. I was looking at below link, which states "Travel to and from the UK
You can use the valid visa in your expired passport when you’re travelling to and from the UK. You’ll need to travel with your expired and your new passport."
Will this option of just renewing the passport & having less than 6 months valid CoE-RoA in old passport , be viable?
(In general, we'll still be having couple of months still left on CoE-RoA, before it expires)

https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa#:~:tex ... a%20status)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:47 pm

Bobthemoggie wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:39 pm
You can use the valid visa in your expired passport when you’re travelling to and from the UK. You’ll need to travel with your expired and your new passport."
Will this option of just renewing the passport & having less than 6 months valid CoE-RoA in old passport , be viable?
Keep in mind that CoE-RoA is not a visa. Different rules apply. Don't extrapolate the rules of visa vignettes to CoE-RoA.
Right of Abode (RoA) - Applying for a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode wrote: (Page 13)
A certificate of entitlement to the right of abode will cease to be valid on the date the passport or travel document to which it is attached expires. If you wish to have a certificate of entitlement placed in your new passport you will need to make a fresh application.
Here is the specific Regulation in this regards.
Regulation 8 of the Immigration (Certificate of Entitlement to Right of Abode in the United Kingdom) Regulations 2006 wrote:8. A certificate of entitlement shall cease to have effect on the expiry of the passport or travel document to which it is affixed.
The Regulation is unclear, but the way I read it, "expiry" also includes cancellation of the passport, which is what would happen if you renew the passport.

That is to say, the CoE-RoA must be in the valid passport that the person with the CoE-RoA is travelling on. A new passport + a cancelled or expired older passport is not an option for CoE-RoA holders.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Bobthemoggie

Post by Bobthemoggie » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:54 am

Lot of country do have MINIMUM 6 months passport validity to enter.
Does similar requirements' there to enter into UK?
a) At boarding direct flight to UK (from outside EU/EEA)
b) While entering UK at airport border

Thanks
secret.simon wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:47 pm
Bobthemoggie wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:39 pm
Keep in mind that CoE-RoA is not a visa. Different rules apply. Don't extrapolate the rules of visa vignettes to CoE-RoA.
Right of Abode (RoA) - Applying for a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode wrote: (Page 13)
A certificate of entitlement to the right of abode will cease to be valid on the date the passport or travel document to which it is attached expires. If you wish to have a certificate of entitlement placed in your new passport you will need to make a fresh application.
Here is the specific Regulation in this regards.
Regulation 8 of the Immigration (Certificate of Entitlement to Right of Abode in the United Kingdom) Regulations 2006 wrote:8. A certificate of entitlement shall cease to have effect on the expiry of the passport or travel document to which it is affixed.
The Regulation is unclear, but the way I read it, "expiry" also includes cancellation of the passport, which is what would happen if you renew the passport.

That is to say, the CoE-RoA must be in the valid passport that the person with the CoE-RoA is travelling on. A new passport + a cancelled or expired older passport is not an option for CoE-RoA holders.