ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR visa gap. Need help please

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Hellobro
India

6 months tourist visa counts for indefinite leave to remain 10 yrs route

Post by Hellobro » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:39 pm

Hi,

I am in the UK since Feb 2011 on a student visa as I did my degree, masters, and Ph.D. in the UK. I had left the UK in 2014 November to India and returned to the UK in January 2015 on a visit visa for 5 months as I had some academic interviews before I started my Ph.D.
I went back to India in June and returned back to the UK in September on Ph.D. tier 4 visa which is now valid till March 2021.

Does my time spend on visit visa counts towards 10 years route on indefinite leave to remain in the UK? I never stayed illegally or over time on my any visa in the UK.

Please comment.

Thank you.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: 6 months tourist visa counts for indefinite leave to remain 10 yrs route

Post by seagul » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:51 pm

All visas are counted including visitor & tourist. Usually if you have a valid leave while leaving and return back within 6 months then the continuity doesn't break. See following guidance and read especially of its examples to determine your actual eligibility.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... WWgO1reyWG
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Hellobro
India

Post by Hellobro » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:18 pm

Thank you for your reply.

My visitor visa expired June 2015 and I applied for new extry clearance for my Ph.D. which started in September 2015. Does that mean my continuity broke in between?
I left the Uk before my visit visa expired and entered UK with a new tier 4 visa for PhD.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:26 pm

Hellobro wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:18 pm
Thank you for your reply.

My visitor visa expired June 2015 and I applied for new extry clearance for my Ph.D. which started in September 2015. Does that mean my continuity broke in between?
I left the Uk before my visit visa expired and entered UK with a new tier 4 visa for PhD.
Not broken - Page 15 of 45 Published for Home Office staff on 28 October 2019
Example 2
An applicant:
• enters the UK on 1 September 2004 with entry clearance as a student which is
valid until 31 October 2005
• leaves the UK on 25 October 2005, before their previous leave expired
• re-enters the UK with valid entry clearance as a student on 5 January 2006
The person had valid leave on the date of their departure and on the date of their
return to the UK, and the time spent outside the UK was less than 6 months.
Continuous residence has been maintained, even though the person entered the UK
with a fresh grant of leave.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Hellobro
India

ILR visa gap. Need help please

Post by Hellobro » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:00 am

Hi,
I want to confirm my gap towards my ILR does not create any problems for me before I apply. Below are my dates.

1st entered the UK on Tier 4 visa - 8 Feb 2011
left UK on 17th Nov 2014 - My visa expired on 30 Oct 2014, I applied for a tier 4 extension visa but withdrew the application on 14th Nov and left the UK on 17th Nov 2015.
Entered the UK on 27th Jan 2015 on a tourist visa and left Uk on 16th June 2015.
Entered the UK on 18th September 2015 on Tier 4 visa.

Between Sept 2015 and now I have been out to visit my home country and some holidays. Total I have been 358 days out in the last 10 years. I am applying for my ILR next week but need to confirm if my tourist visa is not a problem and my withdrawing application is not a problem towards 10 years route.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: ILR visa gap. Need help please

Post by zimba » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:10 am

Hellobro wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:00 am
Hi,
I want to confirm my gap towards my ILR does not create any problems for me before I apply. Below are my dates.

1st entered the UK on Tier 4 visa - 8 Feb 2011
left UK on 17th Nov 2014 - My visa expired on 30 Oct 2014, I applied for a tier 4 extension visa but withdrew the application on 14th Nov and left the UK on 17th Nov 2015.
Entered the UK on 27th Jan 2015 on a tourist visa and left Uk on 16th June 2015.
Entered the UK on 18th September 2015 on Tier 4 visa.

Between Sept 2015 and now I have been out to visit my home country and some holidays. Total I have been 358 days out in the last 10 years. I am applying for my ILR next week but need to confirm if my tourist visa is not a problem and my withdrawing application is not a problem towards 10 years route.
As you can see above, you were advised on this in November
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Hellobro
India

Post by Hellobro » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:19 am

My question is different,
I had overstayed for 20 days from 30 oct to 17 nov in 2014 as i had applied for extension but withdrew that application and return home. Then i came back to the uk with tourist visa in Jan 2015.

Will that overstay period ( where i had applied for extension to ukvi) break my 10 years route.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:28 am

For Long residence, under 276B(v)
(a) the previous application was made before 24 November 2016 and within 28 days of the expiry of leave; or
means that you had to apply for leave to remain or entry clearance within 28 days of overstaying.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Hellobro
India

Post by Hellobro » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:12 pm

I was in country uk and made an application on 27 oct 2014 for tier 4 extension ( my previous was expiring on 30 oct 2014). I left country on 17 nov 2014 by withdrawing application. I came back in jan 2015 which was more than 28 days after my last visa expired. Does that mean my continuity broke?

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 pm

I think Section 3C lapses when you withdrew your application. If you had applied for entry clearance within 28 days of withdrawing your application, then you may be okay.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Hellobro
India

Post by Hellobro » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:14 pm

Does that mean my continuity broke as I applied visa in Jan 2015 and left the country on 17th nov 2014?

My application was still with ukvi when i left country, which i withdrew..

It is very confusing

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:42 pm

Unfortunately, it may have broken. See if there are any similar examples in the Long residence Guidance.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:10 pm

Hellobro wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:12 pm
I was in country uk and made an application on 27 oct 2014 for tier 4 extension ( my previous was expiring on 30 oct 2014). I left country on 17 nov 2014 by withdrawing application. I came back in jan 2015 which was more than 28 days after my last visa expired. Does that mean my continuity broke?
In that case, I agree with vinny that your continuous residence is broken as you failed to apply for a new entry clearance, within 28 days of the previous lawful residence period ending. Section 3C ends on the day you leave the UK (or on the day you withdrew application)
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Hellobro
India

Post by Hellobro » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:38 pm

What are the rules for applicants who have gaps and applied visa after 24 nov 2016?
I cant see the new rules for gaps after nov 2016?

Hellobro
India

Post by Hellobro » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:15 pm

Zimba wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:10 pm
Hellobro wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:12 pm
In that case, I agree with vinny that your continuous residence is broken as you failed to apply for a new entry clearance, within 28 days of the previous lawful residence period ending. Section 3C ends on the day you leave the UK (or on the day you withdrew application)
When was this rule in place of applying within 28 days leaving country UK.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:23 pm

It is useful if you actually read the links that have already been provided by Vinny!!
vinny wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:28 am
For Long residence, under 276B(v)
(a) the previous application was made before 24 November 2016 and within 28 days of the expiry of leave; or
means that you had to apply for leave to remain or entry clearance within 28 days of overstaying.
vinny wrote:
Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:44 am
Leaving/applying within the 28 days "grace" period of overstaying [* reduced to 14 days under 39E, effective 24 November 2016] (for leave to remain applications) does mean that you are an overstayer.

I think that you should declare any periods of overstaying (24(1)(b)(i)). Casa gave the definition that was correctly based on:
Immigration Rules: introduction wrote:"Overstayed" or "Overstaying" means the applicant has stayed in the UK beyond the latest of:
(i) the time limit attached to the last period of leave granted, or
(ii) beyond the period that his leave was extended under sections 3C or 3D of the Immigration Act 1971.
Concession [* probably no more concession]:
1.1 RFL5.1 When must I refuse under paragraph 320? wrote:or(iii) the date that an applicant receives the notice of invalidity declaring that an application for leave to remain is not a valid application, provided the application was submitted before the time limit attached to the last period of leave expired.
However,
1.1 RFL5.1 When must I refuse under paragraph 320? wrote:The rule requires that the applicant has overstayed for more than 90 days (or for any period if, after overstaying, he went home at public expense including AVR or similar programme).
Therefore, simply overstaying 90 [* reduced to 30] days or less shouldn't affect future entry clearance applications. But don't break any other conditions. There may also be problems with private rented accommodation and driving too, part of a hostile environment.

Overstayers applying for leave to remain have no rights of appeal.

Overstaying may also disqualify British citizenship for applicants aged 18 or over, when they are subject to the Good Character requirements.

Historically:
106 wrote:In paragraph 320(7B)(d)(i) delete “28 days” and insert “90 days”
EXPLANATORY MEMORANDUM TO THE STATEMENT OF CHANGES IN IMMIGRATION RULES PRESENTED TO PARLIAMENT ON 13 JUNE 2012 (HC 194) wrote:Re-entry bans

7.19 Currently migrants who overstay their leave to enter or remain by more than 28 days are subject to a re-entry ban. Where a person subject to a re-entry ban seeks entry clearance or leave to enter, they will be refused, subject to certain exceptions for those seeking entry as family members. The length of the ban varies from one year to 10 years depending on whether the migrant departed from the UK at their own expense or at public expense, or whether the migrant used deception.

7.20 Overstayers are not permitted to work, they have no recourse to public funds, are denied access to free secondary healthcare and their details may be shared with credit agencies and other Government departments to deny access to benefits and services. However, where they fail to depart from the UK promptly after their leave to enter or remain expires, the re-entry ban can act as a disincentive to depart. Under the changes to the Immigration Rules the ban will only apply where the migrant overstays by more than 90 days. This extended period is to further incentivise voluntary departure and save the significant public expense incurred through enforced removal.
Statement of changes to the Immigration Rules: HC1078, 16 March 2017 wrote:9.2 In paragraph 320(7B) for sub-paragraph (i) substitute:
“(i) overstayed for-
(a) 90 days or less, where the overstaying began before 6 April 2017:
or
(b) 30 days or less, where the overstaying began on or after 6 April 2017
and in either case, left the UK voluntarily, not at the expense (directly or indirectly) of the Secretary of State;”

9.3 After paragraph 320(7B), insert:
“320(7BB). For the purposes of calculating the period of overstaying in
paragraph 320(7B)(i), the following will be disregarded:

(a) overstaying of up to 28 days, where, prior to 24 November 2016, an application for leave to remain was made during that time, together with any period of overstaying pending the determination of that application and any related appeal or administrative review;

(b) overstaying in relation to which paragraph 39E of the Immigration Rules (concerning out of time applications made on or after 24 November 2016) applied, together with any period of overstaying pending the determination of any related appeal or administrative review;

(c ) overstaying arising from a decision of the Secretary of State which is subsequently withdrawn, quashed, or which the Court or Tribunal has required the Secretary of State to reconsider in whole or in part, unless the challenge to the decision was brought more than three months from the date of the decision.”.
Explanatory memorandum to the statement of changes in Immigration Rules: HC1078, 16 March 2017 wrote:Changes relating to overstayers

7.34. Paragraphs 320(7B)(i) and Appendix V paragraph 3.9(a) are being amended to reduce the period of overstaying which is permitted before a re-entry ban is imposed on individuals who have remained in the UK after their leave to enter or remain has expired. Unless specific exceptions apply, anyone who has overstayed for more than 90 days is subject to a 12 month re-entry ban. This is being reduced to 30 days.

Consequential changes are also being made to Appendix V, paragraph 3.8.

7.35. The ban was introduced in 2012 to encourage those who had only recently overstayed and who could no longer apply for further leave in-country to depart and re-apply from overseas. The period of 90 days was originally intended to reduce any incentive to remain in the UK without leave. The reduction in the 90-day period to 30 days is being brought in to increase compliance with the Immigration Rules and reduce overstaying, while still enabling those who have overstayed for short periods and who are essentially compliant to return to the UK relatively quickly.
Update: 39E(1) requiresgood reasons”.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Hellobro
India

Post by Hellobro » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:37 pm

vinny wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:42 pm
Unfortunately, it may have broken. See if there are any similar examples in the Long residence Guidance.
Hi Vinny,

There are no examples of withdrawing application being considered as overstaying. Definition of overstaying has be explained as staying without permission and without any references to applying or withdrawing application.

Any exact reference that can help me?

Hellobro
India

Post by Hellobro » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:59 pm

vinny wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 pm
I think Section 3C lapses when you withdrew your application. If you had applied for entry clearance within 28 days of withdrawing your application, then you may be okay.
Hi Vinny,
Section 3C does states and clarifies -
The stated purpose of section 3C leave is to prevent a person who makes an in-time application to extend their leave from becoming an overstayer while they are awaiting a decision on that application and while any appeal or administrative review they are entitled to is pending. Where an in-time application to extend or vary leave is made and the application is not decided before the person’s existing leave expires, section 3C extends the person’s existing leave until the application is decided (or withdrawn).

When I applied for application in Oct 2014 and withdrew the application on 14th Nov 2014 and left the UK on 18th nov 2014 - means section 3C extends itself as the application was not decided or withdrawn.

Am I understanding correctly?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:25 am

Hellobro wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:59 pm
vinny wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 pm
Hi Vinny,
Section 3C does states and clarifies -
The stated purpose of section 3C leave is to prevent a person who makes an in-time application to extend their leave from becoming an overstayer while they are awaiting a decision on that application and while any appeal or administrative review they are entitled to is pending. Where an in-time application to extend or vary leave is made and the application is not decided before the person’s existing leave expires, section 3C extends the person’s existing leave until the application is decided (or withdrawn).

When I applied for application in Oct 2014 and withdrew the application on 14th Nov 2014 and left the UK on 18th nov 2014 - means section 3C extends itself as the application was not decided or withdrawn.

Am I understanding correctly?
This is not simply about overstaying. It also does not matter that you withdrew an application or not. You can imagine that you had section 3C till the day you left the UK. When you leave the UK, your section 3C ends. The effect is the same. You needed to apply within 28 days of your section 3C ending to maintain continuous residence.