ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply for British Citizenship with expiry of Indian Passport within the process

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sahidpatel22

Apply for British Citizenship with expiry of Indian Passport within the process

Post by sahidpatel22 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:59 am

Hi All,

I am going to apply for my citizenship but then I found out that my Indian passport is expiring during the process.

I haven't applied yet.

My passport expires on 22-06-2021 and citizenship application process is 6 month.

Please can you advice me if

1. Do I need to renew my Indian passport first then apply for citizenship and British passport.

2. Apply for British citizenship now. (does it matter if my passport expire in between the process)then I am going to apply for British passport and surrender my Indian nationality.

Thanks

vinny

Re: Apply for British Citizenship with expiry of Indian Passport within the process

Post by vinny » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:08 am

1. No.
2. Your choice. Date of application may affect the residence requirements.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sahidpatel22

Re: Apply for British Citizenship with expiry of Indian Passport within the process

Post by sahidpatel22 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:31 pm

Thank you for your response.

Apologies I didn’t get you second answer. Sorry my question might be confusing.

Is it okay if I apply For British citizenship now within a week or so and my Indian passport is expiring on 22/06/2021 ?

I might not get my decision on the application before 22/06/2021 as it says application processing time is 6 Month.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:13 am

sahidpatel22 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:31 pm
Thank you for your response.

Apologies I didn’t get you second answer. Sorry my question might be confusing.

Is it okay if I apply For British citizenship now within a week or so and my Indian passport is expiring on 22/06/2021 ?

I might not get my decision on the application before 22/06/2021 as it says application processing time is 6 Month.
It does not matter if your passport expires during the process. It is ideal if your passport is valid on the date of application and date of biometrics. If it expires later on in the process do not worry about it.
What Vinny meant: You should be aware about your residence requirement. You have to calculate it accordingly prior to the date you apply. Click on the link in Vinny’s post to see the guidance.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

sahidpatel22

Post by sahidpatel22 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:20 am

Thank you so much for your reply. I have read the requirements should be fine.

As I have been granted ILR on 11/09/2019 and I have not been out of the country since December 2017 and before that I habe been twice for 3 weeks.

I did my Life in the UK test before my ILR application somtime in September 2019.

I have UK NARIC certificates to prove my English qualifications.

Anythig else that I need to consider in my application?

Thank you

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:27 am

Make sure you also meet the requirement of being physically in the UK exactly five years before the date of the application.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

sahidpatel22

Post by sahidpatel22 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:02 am

Thank you

Yes I have just checked I was legally in The UK 5 year ago.

Hopefully I will be submitting my application this week. Will update you guys as require.

Thank you all for the advice and support.

Kind Regards