ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

In order to get Marriage visitor visa, do we have to give notice to registrar office?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jurby
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

In order to get Marriage visitor visa, do we have to give notice to registrar office?

Post by jurby » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:49 pm

Hi all

So me and my Fiancee, want to get married in the UK, then apply for my visa to the USA.

Question is, now she is in the USA, we wanted to give notice (A month ago when she was here)as i read marriage visitor visa they might require proof of some bookings, but the registrar office said they do not do bookings now due to restrictions :( Also, I read that in order to give notice both of us have to be here in person, is this true? I can't find anything much on their official website about this.

Another question related to this is: Can she apply for a Marriage Visitor visa, without having booked a date for the registered office? As in she will get a visa, come to the UK, we go to office apply for a date which is 28 days ahead and then marry?
What she will have to prove in order to get a visa.
Once we get a marriage visitor visa, does the 6 months start from the day of receiving it or the day arriving in the UK?

Thank you so much for helping!

Br28016
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: In order to get Marriage visitor visa, do we have to give notice to registrar office?

Post by Br28016 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:24 pm

Can give you our experience of getting a marriage visit visa. My wife required a visa visit to visit the UK unlike US visitors who can basically jump on a plane so hurdle was somewhat higher for us.

In terms of registry office I emailed the registry office to ask about the process as there are limited registry offices that you can marry in.

The registry office responded to say that could not do anything until both of us had been in UK for seven days and that we both had to attend the office to give notice. There was a form that you had to fill out to describe where staying for the seven days.

Used those emails as the evidence of planning to get married for visa application.

As was on marriage visa we only had the 28 days wait requirement. Didn't have to do any more on that front. Read elsewhere that some people have made provisional bookings of registry office for the event which probably also helps.

Key issue with marriage visit visa is that you have to convince them that you will leave after the event so that is were you want to concentrate the evidence in the visa application. Providing evidence of planned move to US would also help.

Start date is either the date you requested or the visa approval date if latter. Think it was a multi entry visa which may be useful if have to come and go between giving notice and marriage date.

jurby
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: In order to get Marriage visitor visa, do we have to give notice to registrar office?

Post by jurby » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:40 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Ok so it looks like we can just apply for a marriage visa, and then after book date together at the registrar office with the visa ready, so we will just have to wait 28 days.

btw. how long did you wait for the visa when you applied?

Thanks!

Br28016
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Br28016 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:27 pm

Was end of 2017 and think took about three weeks. Meant had visa significantly in advance of planned travel date.

We had a fairly comprehensive pack covering most of requirements for settlement visa as well as marriage visit visa as that route was one of options considering and ended up going down that route after getting married - left UK just under six months with UK marriage certificate after arriving and returned 4 months latter with settlement visa.

We ended up taking more tine to sort everything put as was planning on using the full six months but in theory could be married within 35 days of arrival (7 days in UK before can give notice and then 28 days notice if appointments available)