ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply for BC (Tier 1 route)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

drengshehata
Mood:
Germany

Apply for BC (Tier 1 route)

Post by drengshehata » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:36 pm

Hi All,
I trust you are safe. I would like to ask about the qualifying period for someone who just got his ILR (ET-3 years visa). Is it 1 year after he gets the ILR or should he stay at least 5 years in the UK prior to his application?
Thanks and stay safe

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Apply for BC (Tier 1 route)

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:41 pm

drengshehata wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:36 pm
Hi All,
I trust you are safe. I would like to ask about the qualifying period for someone who just got his ILR (ET-3 years visa). Is it 1 year after he gets the ILR or should he stay at least 5 years in the UK prior to his application?
Thanks and stay safe
Unless married to a British citizen, you need 5 years residence for citizenship which must include 12 months on ilr.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

drengshehata
Mood:
Germany

Post by drengshehata » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:58 pm

Thank you so much for your prompt response.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:25 pm

There are multiple residence requirements for British citizenship.

a) The applicant must have resided in the UK for at least five years.
b) They must have been in the UK at the start of the five year period immediately preceding the date of application (effectively, they must have been in the UK exactly five years before the date of application).
c) Within the five year period stated in (b), absences should not have exceeded 450 days.
d) The applicant must have held ILR for at least 12 months.
e) Within the one year period before the date of application, the applicant should not have been absent from the UK for more than 90 days.

All the conditions above need to be met for a successful naturalisation application.

Keep in mind that the requirements for naturalisation are much stricter and much more precise than the requirements for ILR, etc. Naturalisation is not a part of the immigration pathway, which ends at ILR and is governed by different laws and regulations.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.