ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Minor Dependant.

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

miyeo
Newly Registered

Minor Dependant.

Post by miyeo » Mon May 02, 2005 10:11 pm

I've been heavily researching and gathering information on my move to Ireland. My current job although considered highly skilled in the States doesn't qualify for the Work Authorization.
That leaves me the work permit. I am confused. After viewing several websites, inluding entemp.ie and movetoireland. etc.... the issue of dependants is not clear to me.

I am a US citizen, therefore i do not need a visa to enter Ireland. I am a single mother also. I have one site telling me that if you are a visa required non-eea then there is a 12 month period that must be worked before dependants are eligible to join the worker, but that because i do not require a Visa the 12 month rule would not apply to me. The other site lists no difference between visa and non-visa - that 12 months must be worked in Ireland before dependants can join the worker.

Anyone who can clairfy or direct me to a site for the "final" word on this?

I have a 4 year old son and with my resources (liquid) I'd have in the states available to me - and the job I am trying to acquire, I would in no way be a burden on the state. If the 12 month rule does in-fact apply? Would this have any bearing?

Many thanks,

miyeo
Newly Registered

Point of Interest

Post by miyeo » Thu May 05, 2005 1:31 pm

Update... I know find myself in the center of a debate between DETE and The Department of Justice. They are currently arguing (through their correspondence with me) as to which department has jurisdiction over my question.
info@workpermit.ie says it is a visa issue (which I do not comprehend how) and must therefore be directed to Department of Justice. However the Department of Justice says that it is a relevant work permit question. At this time there have been a total of 6 e-mails in this "its your problem - no its your problem" scenario.

Thought I would share my update. I'm apparently no closer to having my answer; though its been an interesting quest. :wink:

edcall
Newly Registered

Re: Minor Dependant.

Post by edcall » Sat May 07, 2005 4:47 pm

On a visit you wouldn't need a visa at all since you are US national. But since you are also a non-eea national, you would need a working visa to start working in Ireland. Your prospective employer will apply for your work permit and once approved DETE will issue a working authorisation in their embassy in your home country. As a rule, non-eea national from non-visa required countries with work authorisation can be joined by dependents after proving they are employed.

I can understand how confused you are as I am as the DETE and Justice departments. The truth is, a new agency is being work out called INIS which will be under the Justice department. Its role is to handle documentation on immigrants, foreign students and workers. So its best to regularly visit the justice.ie website and of course the entemp.ie for any new announcements.

As to your kid whether you have to wait for 12 months, again as a US national you could bring of course your kid once you already have the work authorisation, see http://www.entemp.ie/publications/labou ... sation.doc

Better continue correspondence with DETE and Justice departments. Goodluck :D