ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

travel while processing switch to Tier 1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fumanchu314159265
Newly Registered

travel while processing switch to Tier 1

Post by fumanchu314159265 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:12 pm

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

I'm working in the UK and about to apply to switch from the International Graduates Scheme to Tier 1 (General) Highly Skilled. With the current processing times, we're having trouble finding a good time to surrender our passports.

My question: I need to attend a conference in the US (my home country) on 21 Nov. If I apply now, there seems a chance I'll have my passport back. If not, could I travel on an emergency US passport that I could get from the US Embassy in London? What will happen when I return to the UK and my IGS entry clearance is in my original passport that is with the Home Office? Will I be refused return to the UK?

again, many thanks,
Rob

JESSIES

Post by JESSIES » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:17 pm

Heya

I applied in Sept and personally would not book any trips before the end of Dec. I've that student/study visa > Tier 1 get approved quicker but you never know bec the processing times are quite unpredictable.

fumanchu314159265
Newly Registered

Post by fumanchu314159265 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:30 pm

Thanks Jessies. Yeah, I understand the risk. Unfortunately, I already have tickets, hotel reservations, etc. for this trip, so the question is how to best get the Tier 1. Either I apply right now with the risk of not getting it back in time, or I put it off and run into other complicated problems that I'd prefer to avoid.

So my question remains, if I apply now and don't get my passport back in time for my trip, can I travel on an emergency US passport while leaving my Tier 1 application processing at the Home Office?

thanks for any help,
Rob

niw2
Member of Standing

Post by niw2 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:24 pm

fumanchu314159265 wrote:So my question remains, if I apply now and don't get my passport back in time for my trip, can I travel on an emergency US passport while leaving my Tier 1 application processing at the Home Office?
It might be a question best taken up with the US embassy. I suspect that nobody here has experience of your particular situation regarding US-issued "emergency passports".

fumanchu314159265
Newly Registered

Post by fumanchu314159265 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:40 pm

Thanks for the thought, niw2. It's confusing because I'm guessing the US Embassy will only be able to tell me about their process for issuing an emergency passport.

But my question is what the UK immigration official's response will be if I arrive at the airport and show an emergency passport without my entry clearance in it because my entry clearance is stamped in my original passport that is being processed by the Home Office.

My hope is that by showing them a copy of my entry clearance from my original passport they should be able to look it up and see that I my status is acceptable.

I would think people would run into a similar problem if they lost their passport with their entry clearance in it while traveling abroad.

thanks,
Rob