ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

what benefits we get after ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

herts
Member of Standing

what benefits we get after ILR

Post by herts » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:34 pm

Hello Members,
I shall be applying for ILR next year. Just wondering what benefit do we get after ILR.

iceman010899

Post by iceman010899 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:41 pm

What a SILLY question.

You get to live and work in the UK without any immigration restrictions !

After one year, you can apply to become naturalized.

u joker.

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:44 am

What a SILLY question.

u joker
You don't have to be rude with co-members. It does not hurt to be polite with your response; it's better not to respond than been rude.

herts - to answer your query in addition to what iceman has already stated, you will also be entitled to claim benefits such as child benefit, tax crediit etc. after you get ILR.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:20 am

Are you trying to get ILR in order to get government handouts?

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:58 am

dnicky wrote:
What a SILLY question.

u joker
You don't have to be rude with co-members. It does not hurt to be polite with your response; it's better not to respond than been rude.

herts - to answer your query in addition to what iceman has already stated, you will also be entitled to claim benefits such as child benefit, tax crediit etc. after you get ILR.
maybe he thought the op was taking the piss. I sure did

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:09 am

I would have thought it more appropriate to ask what he could do for the country that has granted him residence as to what it can do for him.

dudemeister
Newly Registered

Post by dudemeister » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:19 pm

UKBAbble wrote:I would have thought it more appropriate to ask what he could do for the country that has granted him residence as to what it can do for him.
Hi all, first of all let me say that we must understand that English is a 2nd language to most immigrants and it might be difficult for a lot of us to be understood first time round. This thread starter might be asking about the overall benefit of being settled over being time restricted, and not financial benefits.

And I must also say that this "what I can do for the country" business is a bit idealist don't you think?

First off, I've been in this country for over 10 years now (out of choice), working and paying my taxes and abiding by the laws and I think I have satisfied all the immigration requirements (and have paid through the nose too). I think I will be entitled to every single tax credit or benefit I can lay my hands on. Why? well for 10 years, the guy who's got the desk next to mine at work has been getting those benefits yet we pay the same taxes and NI contributions. So in essence, over the years he is about £12-15000 better off than me and then you ask what I can do for the country that has "granted" me residence? Nope, I have given a lot too so ours is a symbiotic relationship.

Sorry If I digressed from the main topic and please excuse the mini rant!!

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:03 pm

dudemeister wrote:
UKBAbble wrote:I would have thought it more appropriate to ask what he could do for the country that has granted him residence as to what it can do for him.
And I must also say that this "what I can do for the country" business is a bit idealist don't you think?

Sorry If I digressed from the main topic and please excuse the mini rant!!
Ditto, I thought the same thing of that comment.
I think everyone is entitled to know what are the pros and cons of your status in a country in order to make an informed decision.
Still think he was taking a piss with the question especially since he hasn't be back to defend it.

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:37 pm

I guess I always was an idealist. :wink:

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:20 pm

What I wanted to ask is the benefits like the housing allowance. Not every immigrant here is having a very good salary. Why not avail all the legal benefits we are entitled to as per our salary. If our salary falls in the low income group, then what are the benefits we can get after ILR.
Is it wrong to take benefits if we fall under low income group ?
Please suggest

dudemeister
Newly Registered

Post by dudemeister » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:02 pm

herts wrote:What I wanted to ask is the benefits like the housing allowance. Not every immigrant here is having a very good salary. Why not avail all the legal benefits we are entitled to as per our salary. If our salary falls in the low income group, then what are the benefits we can get after ILR.
Please suggest
After ILR you are legally able to claim any benefits that you are eligible for.

Link to DWP

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefit ... enefit.asp

[/code]

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:32 pm

herts wrote:What I wanted to ask is the benefits like the housing allowance. Not every immigrant here is having a very good salary. Why not avail all the legal benefits we are entitled to as per our salary. If our salary falls in the low income group, then what are the benefits we can get after ILR.
Please suggest
why not? but try to be more precise in the future, we can't read your mind as to what you mean or we won't take such a vague question seriously.