ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Police Caution: Do I need to mention this in T1 application

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

need_a_tier1

Police Caution: Do I need to mention this in T1 application

Post by need_a_tier1 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:47 pm

I was given police caution a few months back following a small fight with a family member :( . However, the matter did not go to court and I was released within a few hours of arrest.

Also, this is the ONLY police caution I have.

Do I need to mention this fact in the T1 application form (I am the main applicant).

I believe this is not a conviction and I was released following a warning (the police caution). I looked in the T1 application form, and could not see any section which asks for a police caution. The only section which I am not sure about is:

E8. Has the applicant ever engaged in any other activities which might indicate that he/she may not be considered to be a person of good character?

Thanks in advance.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:56 pm

Have a good read of this UKBA document, part of the instructions to UKBA staff dealing with Citizenship applications.

If you then do a search of that for the word "caution" you will see that it is only really mentioned in terms of sex offences, and that aspect is not in play here.

Based upon what you have posted, you do not have a conviction. As regards E8, I don't think that is dealing with possible criminal offences.
John

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:26 am

A caution is not same as Criminal Conviction. (though your data still held in police database)

So, is there is a question whether you have a criminal conviction, you can safely answer "no".

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:34 am

rg1 wrote: So, is there is a question whether you have a criminal conviction, you can safely answer "no".
Thanks very much John & rg1 for your response.

I understand now that a police caution is not a criminal conviction, however I am confused that should I mention about the police caution in the Question E8 or not:

E8. Has the applicant ever engaged in any other activities which might indicate that he/she may not be considered to be a person of good character?

If UKBA do an 'extended CRB check' then the police aution will come up, but it will now show in a 'standard CRB check'.
Last edited by need_a_tier1 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:35 am

Sorry, something worng with the 'smtp server'. The same post is being displayed thrice.
Last edited by need_a_tier1 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:35 am

rg1 wrote: So, is there is a question whether you have a criminal conviction, you can safely answer "no".

I understand now that a police caution is not a criminal conviction, however I am confused that should I mention about the police caution in the Question E8 or not:

If UKBA do an 'extended CRB check' then the police aution will come up, but it will now show in a 'standard CRB check'.

simar

Post by simar » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:16 pm

need_a_tier1 wrote:

In case you believe that domestic case caution by police was not sufficient as per your understanding to make police thinks that you are not a person of good character.

You better write in application “ Not that I am aware of “ instead of writing “noâ€

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:40 pm

[quote="simar"]
In case you believe that domestic case caution by police was not sufficient as per your understanding to make police thinks that you are not a person of good character.

You better write in application “ Not that I am aware of “ instead of writing “noâ€

niw2
Member of Standing

Post by niw2 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:44 am

[quote]You better write in application “ Not that I am aware of “ instead of writing “noâ€