ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas birth - Apply for British Passport (Father British Only)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

akythaky
Newly Registered

Overseas birth - Apply for British Passport (Father British Only)

Post by akythaky » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:44 am

hi @all,

I am British citizen, through naturalisation and currently staying in India (Mumbai) and my wife has a Indian citizen.
I got residence home in UK and still I pay council tax. we had daughter last year and her age is below 1 year.

I plan to apply British passport for my daughter, on basis as I am British citizen through naturalisation. I have booked interview process for next week and I will be only one who will go for submit the application.

I have got following list of document

1. All medical documents for my wife about pregnancy. (Scans from day one)
2. Discharge letter from hospital.
3. India Birth certificate for my daughter
4. My naturalisation letter and british passport / Wife Indian passport
5. Marriage certificate
6. Family photo
7. Daughter Adhar card

I have verified with document list mentioned on the website, but please advise if I have missed anything.

Anyone has got experience in applying British passport for their children from India

Please advise, if any documents are missing and whether my daughter needs to attend VFS office as due to current Covid restriction I will like to keep her at home for safety.

Thanks,
A

secret.simon

Re: Overseas birth - Apply for British Passport (Father British Only)

Post by secret.simon » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:45 am

The crucial question is, was your daughter born on or after the date of your naturalisation certificate?

Assuming that the answer to the above is yes, be aware that applying for a first child British passport from abroad can take six months to a year.

As your wife is an Indian citizen, assuming that the child was born after the date on your naturalisation certificate, the daughter can apply for an Indian passport and then a CoE-RoA in that Indian passport, which is supposed to take six to sixteen weeks.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

akythaky
Newly Registered

Post by akythaky » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:39 pm

hi,

Thanks for your reply. yes sorry was not clear i got naturalisation in 2015 and daughter was born last year .
Not clear why I need to apply for Indian passport.

Cheers,
A

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:07 pm

You can apply for either a British passport for your daughter, which can take six months to a year, OR you can apply for an Indian passport + CoE-RoA which can take less time (advised to be six to sixteen months by the Gov.UK website).

The CoE-RoA is a vignette stuck in a non-British passport. So, if you plan to go down that route, the child must have a non-British passport before applying for a CoE-RoA.

If there is a time limit by which time the mother or daughter must be in the UK, you could choose the latter approach (Indian passport + CoE-RoA).

If there is no time pressure, you can choose the former (British passport).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

akythaky
Newly Registered

Post by akythaky » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:07 am

hi,

Thanks for your comments, yes got your point.

I am not in rush, can wait for a year before I get passport for my daughter.

I request you if possible can you check document check list if I have missed anything.

Much appreciate your time.

Thanks,
A