ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport process question and travel

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tg7944
Newly Registered
China

Passport process question and travel

Post by tg7944 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:17 pm

Hi all

I am looking to attend my Citizenship ceremony in May 12th but I will need to leave UK to HK one week after that for work. Is it possible to return to UK some time later this year to complete the passport application? Or can I apply for the passport in HK? Is there any advice I can get? I am happy to pay for professional legal advice on this.

Thank you.

Regards
Ting

travel_master
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: Passport process question and travel

Post by travel_master » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:16 pm

You can apply for the UK passport anytime, once you receive your naturalisation certificate, there's no time limit. However, you do have to return your BRP (ILR) to Home Office within 5 working days after your BC ceremony, failure to do so will result in a fine of £5,000.

You could travel to Hong Kong on your first country's passport. Just keep the original certificate with you. You could show this certificate when return to UK.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:42 pm

travel_master wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:16 pm
You cannot enter the UK using your BRP or certificate of British citizenship.
You’ll be fined up to £1,000 if you do not return your permit within 5 working days.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-sp ... ertificate
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

tg7944
Newly Registered
China

Post by tg7944 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:58 am

Thank you.

I am concerned that I cannot return to the UK using just the Certificate of Citizenship, not the passport. From the link sent below, it looks like I cannot return to the UK without a passport.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-sp ... ertificate

Can you please advise?

If there is in person faster service that I can apply for passport for the first time?

Regards
Ting

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:41 am

You need a British Passport to return to UK after you become a British Citizen.

Also, if you attempt to apply for a British Passport abroad it may jeopardise your future intentions to stay in UK. Your British citizenship maybe investigated by HO then.

As far I know, there is only standard service for first time adult passport which normally takes 2/3 weeks these days.

You may contact your council and see if they have any earlier slots for ceremony. Any cancellations or paid private slots etc.

If you need to travel for a short trip abroad and intend to live in UK, you may consider to postpone your ceremony (there is a 6 months deadline after invitation) and travel on your ILR BRP. You can come back to UK before the deadline to attend the ceremony.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

tg7944
Newly Registered
China

Post by tg7944 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:48 am

Thanks very much - this is helpful.

Is there any update in terms of the deadline to attend ceremony once receiving the invitation letter? Mine is coming up for 6 months deadline but I am stuck in HK at the moment actually. Do you think the Home Office would extend the deadline? I don't know who to call in Home Office to explain this...

Regards
Ting

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:44 am

https://www.gov.uk/citizenship-ceremonies
Usually you must attend a citizenship ceremony within 3 months of receiving your invitation from the Home Office. Because of coronavirus, this has been extended to 6 months.
Looks like you do not intend to live in the UK. You should attend the ceremony before the deadline, otherwise your council will send your certificate back to HO and your citizenship application maybe cancelled.

You may contact HO to explain the situation. Highly unlikely you will get any response in time though.

You being away from UK because you are not living here or intend to live here may cast doubts on your application.

tg7944
Newly Registered
China

Post by tg7944 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:38 pm

Hi there

Thank you. Do you know if there is a contact number or email address I can contact HO to explain the situation? I think I can delay the citizenship ceremony by just 3 months, it would be much better. Really appreciate your help!

Regards
Ting

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:41 pm