ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

exemption from managed quarantine in UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

PariJ
United Kingdom

exemption from managed quarantine in UK

Post by PariJ » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:19 pm

Hi All,

My wife and my daughter are travelling back to the UK from India (a red list country).

My daughter is 4yrs old (a British national) and a special need child. I would like to seek an exemption from the managed quarantine in a hotel on medical/compassionate grounds, however, ideally, I want them to self quarantine with me in our UK residence upon arrival in the UK.

As per the guidance on gov.uk, I had emailed my enquiry to dhsctesttrace.customerfeedbackteam@nhs.net. who had advised me to contact CTM on  0127 472 6424.

However, I am unable to contact CTM on that specified number. I have also emailed my enquiry/request to  um@dhsc.gov.uk but no response yet.

I am wondering if anyone here has experience contacting specific authority regarding exemptions from managed quarantine. If yes, please could you share the relevant contact details and/or redirect me to appropriate guidance.

Thank you

secret.simon

Re: exemption from managed quarantine in UK

Post by secret.simon » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:16 am

PariJ wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:19 pm
As per the guidance on gov.uk, I had emailed my enquiry to dhsctesttrace.customerfeedbackteam@nhs.net. who had advised me to contact CTM on 0127 472 6424.
The guidance I see online has a different email address.
Guidance: Exemptions from managed quarantine for medical and compassionate reasons wrote:All exemption enquiries and requests should be sent to exemptions@dhsc.gov.uk.
What conditions must be met to qualify for an exemption

An exemption will only be granted where:
  • the existing medical condition or vulnerability is severe
  • sufficient evidence is provided that the needs of the individual cannot be met either through the provision at the managed quarantine facility, or from a household member joining the individual in managed quarantine
  • the medical condition or vulnerability will worsen in managed quarantine to such a significant degree that emergency treatment may become necessary
  • clinical evidence is supplied, providing clear evidence of existing treatment and conditions, explaining the risk to the patient and this evidence must be satisfactory to the assessor
  • any evidence provided in support of the application for an exemption is provided from a registered and suitably qualified healthcare professional with direct oversight of the individuals care and provision for that condition we do not generally expect this to be provided by your GP or equivalent in other countries
What kinds of medical conditions might qualify for an exemption

The kinds of medical conditions and supporting evidence that may be considered to require an exemption from managed quarantine might be:
  • a debilitating breathing difficulty where regular physiotherapy is necessary to support the lungs, or daily access to Spam or a nebuliser might be required, and a physiotherapist or consultant advises it is not possible to manage in a managed quarantine facility
  • a severe mental health condition where a psychiatrist (for example) advises it would not be possible to maintain stability within a managed quarantine facility and emergency treatment may be required
  • severe cognitive disability that makes it unlikely an individual may be able to maintain personal hygiene and may become distressed if left alone, on the advice of a registered healthcare professional of suitable clinical expertise
Compassionate exemptions seem to be limited to if a close relative is dying.
Compassionate exemptions

In extremely limited circumstances, where it is not possible to accommodate a visit to a severely ill or dying relative or member of your household from within managed quarantine, you may be able to be exempt.

You will need to supply evidence, including from the hospice or medical facility that you will be visiting.
Based on that guidance above, I am not sure that a special needs child meets the requirements.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.