ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Required Documents

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shady87
Nigeria

Naturalisation after SET(M)

Post by shady87 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:34 pm

Am I right in assuming that someone on the 5year family route (spouse) can apply for Naturalisation immediately after gaining ILR via SET(M)? Or does the 12month wait also apply?

secret.simon

Re: Naturalisation after SET(M)

Post by secret.simon » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:51 pm

Assuming that they are married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen and were physically present in the UK exactly three years before the date of naturalisation application, yes, they can apply directly for naturalisation after the grant of ILR (under any route).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

shady87
Nigeria

Post by shady87 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:54 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:51 pm
Assuming that they are married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen and were physically present in the UK exactly three years before the date of naturalisation application, yes, they can apply directly for naturalisation after the grant of ILR (under any route).
Yes they’ve been in the uk for the last 10years, and spent the last 5 years as the spouse of a British citizen and have just been granted ILR.

Is there a priority service for naturalisation?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:57 pm

shady87 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:54 pm
Yes they’ve been in the uk for the last 10years, and spent the last 5 years as the spouse of a British citizen and have just been granted ILR.
The requirement is for them to have been physically present in the UK (i.e. not outside the UK on a vacation, etc) exactly three years to the day before the date of the naturalisation application.
shady87 wrote:
No.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

shady87
Nigeria

Post by shady87 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:39 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:57 pm
shady87 wrote:
The requirement is for them to have been physically present in the UK (i.e. not outside the UK on a vacation, etc) exactly three years to the day before the date of the naturalisation application.
shady87 wrote:
No.
Thanks. As long as they were physically present 3years to the date of the application in the UK and satisfy the below;
To satisfy the residence requirement you should not have been absent for more than 90 days in the last 12 months. If you are married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen, the total number of days absence for the whole 3-year period should not exceed 270. Otherwise, you should not have been outside the UK for more than 450 days in the 5-year qualifying period.

shady87
Nigeria

Can I apply for Naturalisation

Post by shady87 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:28 am

Hi,

I've just been granted my ILR SET (M) [spouse 5yr route]. Am I right in thinking I can now apply for naturalisation via Form AN?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can I apply for Naturalisation

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:54 am

Yes, if you meet all the requirements to apply based on 3 years and being a spouse of a British citizen.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

I VE A LIFE WITHOUT TIER2

Post by I VE A LIFE WITHOUT TIER2 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:17 pm

shady87 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:28 am
Hi,

I've just been granted my ILR SET (M) [spouse 5yr route]. Am I right in thinking I can now apply for naturalisation via Form AN?

Thanks
I am the same as you, I had my naturalisation form filled out and ready to go before ILR decision. I got SET M approval on 26th of April, BRP came in on 28th and applied the same day - 28th. I received acknowledgement email from HO yesterday so just need to upload documents and attend BRP....and then wait for GOD knows how long :)

shady87
Nigeria

Post by shady87 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:18 pm

Thanks for confirming.
Going through the application now and I see the below;
Are you either:
An EEA national who has been issued with a permanent residence document
A family member of an EEA national who has been issued with a permanent residence card
My spouse is a british citizen by birth, which option do I select?

shady87
Nigeria

Post by shady87 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:20 pm

I VE A LIFE WITHOUT TIER2 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:17 pm
shady87 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks
I am the same as you, I had my naturalisation form filled out and ready to go before ILR decision. I got SET M approval on 26th of April, BRP came in on 28th and applied the same day - 28th. I received acknowledgement email from HO yesterday so just need to upload documents and attend BRP....and then wait for GOD knows how long :)
Haha - Cool, yeah got ILR decision letter email after doing super priority appt yesterday so BRP should come in next week. Too bad no super priority for this. At lease we still hold on to our BRP and can travel correct?

I VE A LIFE WITHOUT TIER2

Post by I VE A LIFE WITHOUT TIER2 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:57 pm

shady87 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:20 pm
shady87 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks
Haha - Cool, yeah got ILR decision letter email after doing super priority appt yesterday so BRP should come in next week. Too bad no super priority for this. At lease we still hold on to our BRP and can travel correct?
Yes, naturalisation isn't a visa application so you can travel. Are you off to Nigeria like me? :)

shady87
Nigeria

Post by shady87 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:01 pm

Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:57 pm
shady87 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:20 pm
shady87 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks
Yes, naturalisation isn't a visa application so you can travel. Are you off to Nigeria like me? :)
Yes yes 8)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:38 pm

shady87 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:18 pm
Thanks for confirming.
Going through the application now and I see the below;
Are you either:
An EEA national who has been issued with a permanent residence document
A family member of an EEA national who has been issued with a permanent residence card
My spouse is a british citizen by birth, which option do I select?
This question is NOT relevant to you.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shady87
Nigeria

Required Documents

Post by shady87 » Sat May 01, 2021 1:48 pm

I'm just going through the documents required and confused what is the difference between the below;

- Evidence that you have been in the UK lawfully for your 3 or 5 year qualifying residence period. This should be evidence that you were here as a worker, student, self-employed, self-sufficient, retired or incapacitated person

Based on the guidance I should be uploading every single passport + every page I've ever used to enter/leave the UK

- Proof of living in the UK for [X] for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen

This is where I'm confused; Do they mean passports just like above? bank statements? bills? tax records?

shady87
Nigeria

Re: Required Documents

Post by shady87 » Sat May 01, 2021 1:59 pm

Also now that documents are being uploaded, do we still need to attach a passport photo to the Referee Declaration Form and upload those too?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat May 01, 2021 2:00 pm

do we still need to attach a passport photo to the Referee Declaration Form and upload those too?
Yes, once the forms are signed by your referees.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat May 01, 2021 2:01 pm

shady87 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:48 pm
I'm just going through the documents required and confused what is the difference between the below;

- Evidence that you have been in the UK lawfully for your 3 or 5 year qualifying residence period. This should be evidence that you were here as a worker, student, self-employed, self-sufficient, retired or incapacitated person

Based on the guidance I should be uploading every single passport + every page I've ever used to enter/leave the UK

- Proof of living in the UK for [X] for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen

This is where I'm confused; Do they mean passports just like above? bank statements? bills? tax records?
Passports, biomtric and stamped pages.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

shady87
Nigeria

Post by shady87 » Thu May 06, 2021 5:13 pm

For this required document;
most recent tax year account statement and corresponding HMRC tax return as proof of self-employment
I currently only have that of April 2020 — do I have to wait for that of 2021 to be processed?