ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Referee's Council Job

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ksmile
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Referee's Council Job

Post by ksmile » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:31 pm

Good afternoon all,

I am applying for the UK Naturalisation and as you are all aware I need to provide two referees. I have a friend who work for a council as a supervisor, his title is - *** Supervisor for ***Council. I was calling the helpline and they said it is to my own judgement to decided if a person is a suitable referee or not, which is not very helpful. I re-read the profession list so many times, that i have a total mess in my head now.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts if you think he will be acceptable referee.

Thank you!
K

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Referee's Council Job

Post by manci » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:50 pm

Please refer to the definition on form AN:

One referee should be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, such as
a minister of religion, civil servant, or a member of a professional body such as an accountant or
solicitor (who is not representing you with this application). The other referee must normally be the
holder of a British citizen passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25.

A job at the Council doesn't make one a professional person or a civil servant.
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

leyu
Newly Registered
France

Post by leyu » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:36 pm

He's a local government officer so it should be fine.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:56 pm

A person employed by a local council is a public servant, but not a civil servant.

I'd say go ahead and submit the application with that person as your referee. I had submitted my application with a referee who was a non-civil public servant (but which distinction I did not know at the time).

Even if a referee does not meet the requirements, the general norm is for the caseworker to write to you to ask for another referee. So be sure that you do keep the details of another referee ready in case you are asked.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.