ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Naturalisation for 3 year old - Referee question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sunshine010101
Poland

British Naturalisation for 3 year old - Referee question

Post by sunshine010101 » Sat May 01, 2021 3:55 pm

My son is 3 years old. We are in process of applying for his British naturalisation.
I read the 'recognised professions" and I found the information that one referee should be a professional who has engaged with the child in a professional capacity such as teacher, health visitor, social worker or minister of religion.
One of the referees is a friend which falls under the criteria of age over 25 and has a British passport.
As a second referee I would like to add the nurse which assists my son's GP but she is Trainee Nursing Associate. I already asked my son's GP and his teacher but one of them refuses to sign the declaration and the other knows Leo shorter than 3 years. We moved so the health visitors will also not fall under the right criteria.
I'm not sure if I should go with declaration of Nursing Associate or rather ask some other professional friends like solicitor or accountant.
I am only not sure because there is a "nurse (RGN or RMN) listed under recognised professions.

What were the choice of the referees for your children?
What would you suggest me to do?

Thank you

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: British Naturalisation for 3 year old - Referee question

Post by CULLINAN » Sat May 01, 2021 4:56 pm

If the trainee nurse associate is willing to provide a reference, it should suffice I believe.

HO is not strict when it comes to referees in case of young children.

If you struggle to find appropriate referees, add a cover letter and explain that GP/teacher refused. Given corona, its more understandable that parents can not be chasing GPs and health visitors etc. Arrange referees as per the ADULD criteria in this case. No issues.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Sat May 01, 2021 4:57 pm

sunshine010101 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:55 pm
the other knows Leo shorter than 3 years
Children under 18 are registered (Form MN1), not naturalised, and there is no requirement for the referee to have known the child for 3 years

5.1 Each referee should know the child personally. One referee should be a professional who
has engaged with the child in a professional capacity, such as a teacher, health visitor, social
worker or minister of religion. The other referee must normally be the holder of a British citizen
passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25.
Referees must:
• not be a relative, solicitor or agent of the applicant
• not be related to the other referee
• not be employed by the Home Office
• not have been convicted of an imprisonable offence during the last 10 years (unless that
conviction can be disregarded in line with the table shown on page 25 of the MN1 guide)
• have known the applicant personally
• be willing to give full details of their knowledge of the applicant
• advise the Home Office of any reason why the applicant should not be registered
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat May 01, 2021 5:00 pm

Also see:

Page 10:
For child applicants at least one of the referees must be a person who has dealt with the child in a professional role such as a teacher, doctor, health visitor or social worker. Where a child cannot provide a referee who has dealt with them in a professional capacity and has provided documents to show that they have attempted to do so, you can accept 2 referees who meet the criteria for referees on adult applications.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 2.0ext.pdf

Many members have successfully registered their children as British without professional referees (who have engaged with the child in a professional capacity). A cover letter with an explanation should suffice.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

sunshine010101
Poland

Post by sunshine010101 » Sat May 01, 2021 6:38 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:00 pm
Also see:

Page 10:
For child applicants at least one of the referees must be a person who has dealt with the child in a professional role such as a teacher, doctor, health visitor or social worker. Where a child cannot provide a referee who has dealt with them in a professional capacity and has provided documents to show that they have attempted to do so, you can accept 2 referees who meet the criteria for referees on adult applications.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 2.0ext.pdf

Many members have successfully registered their children as British without professional referees (who have engaged with the child in a professional capacity). A cover letter with an explanation should suffice.
Thank you so much for the reply.
I am probably overthinking this.
I am tempted to go for Trainee Nurse Associate and attach the cover letter.

I was wondering if I could add 3rd referee which is my friend does not have a profession. Would this additional referee drive them crazy? :)
I could mention that the only person that is closest to the recognised profession and knows my son is the one I am giving details to. Other wise there is referee which is British, over 25 and knows Leo for 3 years.

Or

Should I leave the nurse out straight away and go for 2 adult referees with cover letter like you say?

What is the worst that could happen? Will the case worker contact me to request another referee or would they reject the application?

Thanks again.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat May 01, 2021 6:50 pm

Just add a cover letter and mention you contacted GP/teacher but they refused (which is true as you said).

Arrange referees that fulfil the adult criteria instead.

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... on_MN1.pdf

If HO is not happy, CW will write to you to arrange another referee (very unlikely in case of a 3 year old). Application can not be refused on this basis alone.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat May 01, 2021 6:59 pm

Also as @manci said there is no 3 year known referee requirement for children. So decide accordingly. If you can arrange GP/teacher or the trainee nurse, then you do not need any explanation or cover letter.

sunshine010101
Poland

Post by sunshine010101 » Sun May 02, 2021 11:13 am

manci wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 4:57 pm
sunshine010101 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:55 pm
the other knows Leo shorter than 3 years
Children under 18 are registered (Form MN1), not naturalised, and there is no requirement for the referee to have known the child for 3 years

5.1 Each referee should know the child personally. One referee should be a professional who
has engaged with the child in a professional capacity, such as a teacher, health visitor, social
worker or minister of religion. The other referee must normally be the holder of a British citizen
passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25.
Referees must:
• not be a relative, solicitor or agent of the applicant
• not be related to the other referee
• not be employed by the Home Office
• not have been convicted of an imprisonable offence during the last 10 years (unless that
conviction can be disregarded in line with the table shown on page 25 of the MN1 guide)
• have known the applicant personally
• be willing to give full details of their knowledge of the applicant
• advise the Home Office of any reason why the applicant should not be registered
Thank you so much for clarifying it. It makes much more sense for me now. I will definitely give some feedback once I get the application approved hopefully.