ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student without a CSI - Would it affect my application?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

onlybarca6
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Student without a CSI - Would it affect my application?

Post by onlybarca6 » Wed May 05, 2021 7:28 am

I have read very contradicting information about the CSI Insurance requirement for students and I'm not sure whether the fact I didn't have one, would mean I won't be accepted for British citizenship?

I have been a full time student in the UK between 2009 - 2012 and I did not have a CSI (just like most of the foreign students). I got my IRL in 2020.

Would that affect me in any way?

Thank you!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Student without a CSI - Would it affect my application?

Post by alterhase58 » Wed May 05, 2021 9:17 am

CSI was a requirement under EEA regulations as adopted by the UK, applicable to persons exercising treaty rights as "student" or "self-sufficient". Did you ever apply for an EEA Permanent Residence card and were rejected due to missing CSI, or were approved with no CSI if the application included your student time?

As you say most applicants didn't have it and most didn't know about it. There is no evidence that applicants without CSI or equivalent are systematically refused. There are occasional reports here and on other forums that people actually got approved without CSI. When you have your biometrics appointment with UKVCAS you will be asked whether you had CSI or not - so you need to declare the fact. Note UKVCAS are not caseworkers so you can't discuss the subject there, they are just ticking the box. Recommend you upload a cover letter with your other documents explaining your circumstances around CSI.

There is a dedicated thread here relating to CSI: british-citizenship/csi-and-settle-stat ... 01196.html
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

onlybarca6
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by onlybarca6 » Wed May 05, 2021 9:32 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:17 am
CSI was a requirement under EEA regulations as adopted by the UK, applicable to persons exercising treaty rights as "student" or "self-sufficient". Did you ever apply for an EEA Permanent Residence card and were rejected due to missing CSI, or were approved with no CSI if the application included your student time?

As you say most applicants didn't have it and most didn't know about it. There is no evidence that applicants without CSI or equivalent are systematically refused. There are occasional reports here and on other forums that people actually got approved without CSI. When you have your biometrics appointment with UKVCAS you will be asked whether you had CSI or not - so you need to declare the fact. Note UKVCAS are not caseworkers so you can't discuss the subject there, they are just ticking the box. Recommend you upload a cover letter with your other documents explaining your circumstances around CSI.

There is a dedicated thread here relating to CSI: british-citizenship/csi-and-settle-stat ... 01196.html
Thank you for your reply. The answer to all the questions in the 1st paragraph is NO.
Never applied for permanent residence card.

I've no idea what to put in such cover letter, because CSI simply wasn't a 'thing' back in 2009 - 2012, nobody ever mentioned anything like it, so what would be a suitable explanation to put in such letter?

Also, does the CSI rule apply to me if I was a student 10 years ago?

Thank you

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed May 05, 2021 12:28 pm

The CSI requirement comes under "Good Character" and that can be examined at least 10 years back from the application date.
There's no standard cover letter for this but best to state you didn't have it for the reasons etc. If there were any other insurance arrangements in place at the time, such as EHIC or a similar policy mention this. Look though the dedicated thread on this forum where members have discussed this at length.
Alternatively, if you don't mind waiting apply in 2022 (after the equivalent date you finished studies in 2012) then you are outside the 10 years. There's no issue with that as naturalisation application is your own choice.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Wed May 05, 2021 2:08 pm

onlybarca6 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:32 am
I've no idea what to put in such cover letter, because CSI simply wasn't a 'thing' back in 2009 - 2012, nobody ever mentioned anything like it,
The need for CSI was mentioned in the EU's April 2004 Directive for the Free Movement of Persons.
Article 7 of Directive 2004/38/EC

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Wed May 05, 2021 2:29 pm

A court case for your same years.

She was a student from about January 2009 to about July 2012. As such, she was required to have, but did not have, CSIC.
https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2014/988.html

onlybarca6
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by onlybarca6 » Thu May 06, 2021 10:20 am

Thank you for your help guys. So CSI requirement seems to be that kind of a 'grey area' that everyone is uncertain about, added by goverment to complicate things, as if they weren't complicated enough.

I am wondering what's best:

- Mention it on the application (separate letter) right away, and say the I haven't got a CSI

- Do not mention it and see if I get asked for a proof. Because from what I read it could be that the person checking the application would accept the fact I don't have CSI, based on the full circumstances.

And If I do get asked, then send a letter explaining why I don't have one?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu May 06, 2021 10:41 am

You will have to decide.
Presumably in your 10 year employment record you have listed your time as student - and by submitting your application you declare it's correct/complete. Suggest you include an explanatory note with your documents.
Note that UKVCAS accepting your Yes/No answer does not mean UKVI acceptance - UKVCAS are a commercial contractor to UKVI, they are not caseworkers.

onlybarca6
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by onlybarca6 » Thu May 06, 2021 10:51 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:41 am
You will have to decide.
Presumably in your 10 year employment record you have listed your time as student - and by submitting your application you declare it's correct/complete. Suggest you include an explanatory note with your documents.
Note that UKVCAS accepting your Yes/No answer does not mean UKVI acceptance - UKVCAS are a commercial contractor to UKVI, they are not caseworkers.
Thank you. You're right. That's probably the best way to do it. However I am not sure what to say in such note. How can you explain why you don't have something like CSI (I had no clue it existed back in 2011/ 12)?

Be honest and say "I was not aware of a need to have a CSI"? I did go to secondary school in the UK too, before university so I do have a lot longer history in the UK before uni. Could that be used as an argument do you think?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu May 06, 2021 10:59 am

You just need to explain things covered by your application, no need to add anything else, or going back further.
Your cover note should explain the facts clearly and concisely. You are expected to be honest when applying.

onlybarca6
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by onlybarca6 » Thu May 06, 2021 11:03 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:59 am
You just need to explain things covered by your application, no need to add anything else, or going back further.
Your cover note should explain the facts clearly and concisely. You are expected to be honest when applying.
Sure, but this is purely for explaining why I don't have the CSI for 2011 - 2012. So the letter/ note will be just about that. And I'm not sure what to say :cry: I don't have it, because it didn't even cross my mind that something like that exists and is necassary for me to be regarded as a legal stay in the UK.

If not having CSI is regarded as not fully legal stay (and goes against Good Character) how did they accept me (and millions of other students) to study in a UK university without a CSI? Mind blowing.