ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

first time out of UK on my visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

PaulM

first time out of UK on my visa

Post by PaulM » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:57 am

Later this month it will be the first time I travel out of the UK on my UK Ancestral visa. My query is when I return will I be under the same scrutiny as when I arrived the first time? I'm just looking for some general observations on this. Thanks

UKBAbble

Re: first time out of UK on my visa

Post by UKBAbble » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:17 pm

PaulM wrote:Later this month it will be the first time I travel out of the UK on my UK Ancestral visa. My query is when I return will I be under the same scrutiny as when I arrived the first time? I'm just looking for some general observations on this. Thanks

I don't see why you would have been under any scrutiny on your first arrival unless you had a chequered immigration history. You should not be asked any questions at all on your re-entry.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:21 pm

UKBAbble wrote:
PaulM wrote:Later this month it will be the first time I travel out of the UK on my UK Ancestral visa. My query is when I return will I be under the same scrutiny as when I arrived the first time? I'm just looking for some general observations on this. Thanks

I don't see why you would have been under any scrutiny on your first arrival unless you had a chequered immigration history. You should not be asked any questions at all on your re-entry.
Every time I return to the UK, it is like I am visiting it the first time with the barrage of questions so I don't know why PaulM has it easy breezy when he goest through but I find it tortuous.

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:27 pm

republique wrote:Every time I return to the UK, it is like I am visiting it the first time with the barrage of questions so I don't know why PaulM has it easy breezy when he goest through but I find it tortuous.
Not knowing your status I couldn't comment but a valid UK ancestry visa if valid is a guarantee of entry and as far as I know cannot be cancelled by an immigration officer. There would, therefore be no point in asking the holder any questions.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:29 pm

UKBAbble wrote:
republique wrote:Every time I return to the UK, it is like I am visiting it the first time with the barrage of questions so I don't know why PaulM has it easy breezy when he goest through but I find it tortuous.
Not knowing your status I couldn't comment but a valid UK ancestry visa if valid is a guarantee of entry and as far as I know cannot be cancelled by an immigration officer. There would, therefore be no point in asking the holder any questions.
They always ask questions. The type of visa never prevents them from doing so, so that is just false sense of security from assuming that. It might be the most secure visa to have but they will always interrogate you.

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:36 pm

republique wrote:They always ask questions. The type of visa never prevents them from doing so, so that is just false sense of security from assuming that. It might be the most secure visa to have but they will always interrogate you.
Really? Do you consider a few questions nterogation? As someone with quite a few years doing that job I can ony wonder if each time you have been unlucky enough to come across an enthusiastic newbie.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:42 pm

UKBAbble wrote:
republique wrote:They always ask questions. The type of visa never prevents them from doing so, so that is just false sense of security from assuming that. It might be the most secure visa to have but they will always interrogate you.
Really? Do you consider a few questions nterogation? As someone with quite a few years doing that job I can ony wonder if each time you have been unlucky enough to come across an enthusiastic newbie.
Okay, you seem to be able to characterize my experience without having my experience and discount my sentiments. I don't know how you can tell it was just a few questions and not an unpleasant experience so I'd appreciate if you don't presume it to be otherwise or attribute it to some enthusiastic newbies because you act differently than what I have experienced. The OP asked and having gone through it I gave him my experience so let's just leave at that.

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:59 pm

republique wrote:Okay, you seem to be able to characterize my experience without having my experience and discount my sentiments. I don't know how you can tell it was just a few questions and not an unpleasant experience so I'd appreciate if you don't presume it to be otherwise or attribute it to some enthusiastic newbies because you act differently than what I have experienced. The OP asked and having gone through it I gave him my experience so let's just leave at that.
Fair enough but to repeat my answer to the OP he should not be asked any questions.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:46 pm

It depends on where you're travelling back from. My Moroccan husband who has been here since May 2006 has never had any problems returning from brief visits to Spain where we were both living previously. However, on his return to the UK (Gatwick) from his first visit to Morocco since he's been here, he was held for almost an hour by immigration at the airport, while the female officer 'checked his UK address' on computer, and ask questions such as "Do you pray 5 times a day", "How often do you go to the Mosque", "Do you have any friends who are terrorists ( :roll: ),
where do you work, how much do you earn, what work do you do, why did you have previous residency in Spain, and now live in the UK." (They could see from his passport that he was issued with a spouse visa. )
I was waiting at the airport for him and he asked if they would like to speak to me and they declined the offer. :wink:
We put it down to anti-terrorist security checks 8), but it proves, that it may not matter how many times you come in and out of the UK on your valid visa, you can still be questioned. By the way, my husband doesn't look a dodgy character.

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:51 pm

That sounds far more like a Special Branch check and the nationality and travel history would be what triggers the questioning.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:54 pm

UKBAbble wrote:That sounds far more like a Special Branch check and the nationality and travel history would be what triggers the questioning.
Oh for goodness sake, do you have to counter every thing someone says? So whatever triggered it, you can still be interrogated at the border irrespective of your visa. Thats the bottom line

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:47 pm

I try to give an informative and helpful answer based on my years of experience unlike some who just want to spread their own prejudice.

SMOOTH OPERATOR

Post by SMOOTH OPERATOR » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:53 pm

lol

SMOOTH OPERATOR

Post by SMOOTH OPERATOR » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:53 pm

lol this is fun

SMOOTH OPERATOR

Post by SMOOTH OPERATOR » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:56 pm

lol lol this is fun

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:57 pm

Personally, I think more info is always good. What everybody makes of it is their own business. Keep it coming UKBAbble.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:48 pm

UKBAbble wrote:I try to give an informative and helpful answer based on my years of experience unlike some who just want to spread their own prejudice.
Um right back at you.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:58 pm

In case the point of my post was missed...in response to the OP's original question...for various reasons (whatever they may be), as Republique has rightly said, you could be questioned at any time when entering the UK, even if your visa is valid and your conscience is squeaky clean.
Special Branch? 8) Because he travelled twice in 2.5 years to Sunny Spain where he had previously lived, and once to visit his parents in Morocco?
Gosh...maybe he did look dodgy after all! :roll:

macaroni

Post by macaroni » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:41 pm

UKBAbble wrote:I try to give an informative and helpful answer based on my years of experience unlike some who just want to spread their own prejudice.
I appreciate you trying to put forward an explanation, but honestly, I have found UK Immigration officials at LHR to be extremely rude most of the time. Some of them don't even bother to speak English in the presence of the visitor- which makes it all the more ironic being badgered by someone who rates English so lowly. :lol: :lol:

I think some "officers" get their kicks from feeling they can do as they wish with impunity. It's not as if you can ask for the manager or treat them with the same disrespect and rudeness levied by they themselves. You have to stand there and feel extremely humiliated while some pratt with a considerable lack of professionalism acts out her/his God complex at your expense and time. :roll: :roll:

Having travelled to other countries, I have encountered indifference, friendliness or casual briskness. Never rudeness though.

macaroni

Post by macaroni » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:45 pm

Casa wrote:In case the point of my post was missed...in response to the OP's original question...for various reasons (whatever they may be), as Republique has rightly said, you could be questioned at any time when entering the UK, even if your visa is valid and your conscience is squeaky clean.
Special Branch? 8) Because he travelled twice in 2.5 years to Sunny Spain where he had previously lived, and once to visit his parents in Morocco?

Exactly. The more they question you and talk utter rubbish, the more you look like a liar. If you "stick to your story" ie. the truth, then you're clearly a liar and very crafty. If you look nervous, well obviously you're lying. :roll: :roll:

Thank heavens your husband does not have relatives in the middle east whom he has visited recently. OBVIOUSLY he would be a terrorist then! :roll: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

bani

Post by bani » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:28 pm

I never had any problem at Heathrow (4 times), Luton and Stansted (countless times). I'm on a Tier 1/HSMP. I usually am just asked what work I do and that's it.

One time the immigration officer at Luton even told me that he sympathises with me about the 2006 HSMP rule changes, what a disgrace they were. That was a nice surprise.

I've had real interrogation entering the US, and worst experience was getting a Schengen visa from the French embassy in London. I got the visa anyway, but not after being treated like I was barely a human being. There will always be people like that, but as long as your papers are in order, you'll get through.

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:38 pm

There are undoubtedly some rude immigration officers in the UKBA but most try to be pleasant, not always easy when you're understaffed and working in conditions that most in the private sector would think appalling.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:41 pm

UKBAbble wrote:There are undoubtedly some rude immigration officers in the UKBA but most try to be pleasant, not always easy when you're understaffed and working in conditions that most in the private sector would think appalling.
Now excuses? Clearly not the utopia you were portraying earlier

joelondon
Member of Standing

Post by joelondon » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:50 pm

Casa wrote:It depends on where you're travelling back from. My Moroccan husband who has been here since May 2006 has never had any problems returning from brief visits to Spain where we were both living previously. However, on his return to the UK (Gatwick) from his first visit to Morocco since he's been here, he was held for almost an hour by immigration at the airport, while the female officer 'checked his UK address' on computer, and ask questions such as "Do you pray 5 times a day", "How often do you go to the Mosque", "Do you have any friends who are terrorists ( :roll: ),
where do you work, how much do you earn, what work do you do, why did you have previous residency in Spain, and now live in the UK." (They could see from his passport that he was issued with a spouse visa. )
I was waiting at the airport for him and he asked if they would like to speak to me and they declined the offer. :wink:
We put it down to anti-terrorist security checks 8), but it proves, that it may not matter how many times you come in and out of the UK on your valid visa, you can still be questioned. By the way, my husband doesn't look a dodgy character.

hey how we doing !!!
by the way why the OP asked him why he was resident in spain ? why ? does your husband still have his permanent resident of spain ? or why he asked if he had previously lived in spain ? how the OP could see that he was resident there ...thanks hope to get an answer from you soon as i'm in the same situation .

joelondon
Member of Standing

Post by joelondon » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:03 pm

Casa wrote:In case the point of my post was missed...in response to the OP's original question...for various reasons (whatever they may be), as Republique has rightly said, you could be questioned at any time when entering the UK, even if your visa is valid and your conscience is squeaky clean.

hey hi again
i had the same experiance and sometimes they just ask a stupid question , one day we traveld out of the uk my wife and me and then when we got back to the uk , we passed the OP together my wife and me at the same time , so i handed our both passport to the OP and he started with his question , as i was ready and always excpect to be asked and even i dont have a dogdy look definitly no :) :D he asked me where my wife is from ? and do we live together , are you still married , how long u been out for , does your wife work ? and all those question i belive are stupid and even one day the OP asked my wife , when she is an EAA national , why they have to ask an EAA national ????? and the best bit was .....:) let lme laugh and laugh and laugh again ....when he had our 2 passport , the OP asked me if i was traveling alone or with my wife hehehehehe when i gave him both passport , i think sometimes the OP or HO are ......and just ask question they should ask , i dont think sometimes that they are aware what they are doing ....anyway that was my experiance and hope to get an answer from you . how long u have been living in spain for ? where you married before going to the uk ? did u get la tarjeta de regimen comunitario when u were living in spain ? how your husband now travel to spain ? with his permanent residency or he need to apply for a visa before he travel ? many thanks and hope to hear from you soon...all the best , by the way i'm morrocan to :) married to french ...but i believe that is the same situation