ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What if I am 5 points short? Do they make exceptions?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

argh
Newly Registered

What if I am 5 points short? Do they make exceptions?

Post by argh » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:41 pm

Hi,
I live in the US and wanted to get a UK visa so I could go live and work there for a year or more. I did the points calculator and came up 5 points short. If I made like $5k more per year I would qualify.

My question is, if I am that close, do they make exceptions and possibly grant me a visa? Or is it very cut and dry and if I don't have enough points, I am denied?

Thanks in advance!

republique
BANNED

Re: What if I am 5 points short? Do they make exceptions?

Post by republique » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:45 pm

argh wrote:Hi,
I live in the US and wanted to get a UK visa so I could go live and work there for a year or more. I did the points calculator and came up 5 points short. If I made like $5k more per year I would qualify.

My question is, if I am that close, do they make exceptions and possibly grant me a visa? Or is it very cut and dry and if I don't have enough points, I am denied?

Thanks in advance!
nope no exceptions nice try

argh
Newly Registered

Post by argh » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:53 am

thanks.

one more question: how do they verify your income, etc?

niw2
Member of Standing

Post by niw2 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:31 am

Dont even think about it. The penalties are severe and will permanently ruin your chances of obtaining visas to any other country.

Snoozles

Post by Snoozles » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:42 am

niw2 wrote:Dont even think about it. The penalties are severe and will permanently ruin your chances of obtaining visas to any other country.
Haha :twisted: I was thinking the exact same thing!

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:38 am

argh wrote:thanks.

one more question: how do they verify your income, etc?
as already indicated above, don't try to be funny by doctoring your income documentation.
It is a fair question so I will tell you some examples but you would help yourself if you read the guidance
You use things like your W-2, income tax statements, contract, payslips and bank statements. Do not try to forge these documents the HO is not stupid.
I suggest if you are 5 K short that you look into how you are calculating the exchange rate. Are you doing it on a monthly basis or taking one rate which may be not the best rate and using it for all 12 months. See if that helps you but that is the only thing I'd suggest to help you. Or perhaps you have to consider other catergories to obtain points such as achievements
Good luck

niw2
Member of Standing

Post by niw2 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:49 am

Yes, it is a fair question, so I will revisit my answer. The Home Office and High commission verify your previous earnings by closely examining the documents submitted by you (and they are very familiar with the types of documents submitted by applicants). They also contract a company to contact employers in various countries (by telephone and through personal visits) to confirm previous employment and previous earnings.