ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Which route ILR ot EUSS? Non-EU partner of EU citizen, in the UK for 10 years (1+ year with EUSS)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

irenesalazar
Newly Registered

Which route ILR ot EUSS? Non-EU partner of EU citizen, in the UK for 10 years (1+ year with EUSS)

Post by irenesalazar » Thu May 20, 2021 9:36 pm

Hello everyone,

I am a non-EU national living in the UK uninterruptedly for more than 10 years.
I married an EU national in Jan 2014 and I have had Settled Status under EU Scheme for more than a year. I want to know which is the best route for me to apply for UK citizenship. I already have the language and the Life in the UK requirements. My husband isnt' ready to apply for citizenship just yet.

More details below:

I am a Colombian national and first arrived in the UK in September 2010 under a Tier 4 (student visa).
I was issued a T1 Post Study Visa in February 2012 (valid for 2 years)
I married an EU national in Janruary 2014.
We went to visit my family in Colombia and stayed there for less than 3 months in 2014.
I re-entered the UK with a EEA Family Permit valid from Feb 2014 until Nov 2014.
I received a Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National in July 2014, valid until July 2019.
I applied under the EU Settlement scheme and was granted Settled Status in June 2019. I was issued a Residence Card which under remarks says 'Work Permitted / Indefinite leave to remain', but the card says valid until Jun 2029.

My husband also has settled status but he's not ready to apply yet (hasn't taken the Life in the UK test and doesn't have the English requirement just yet). On a saparate note, would it be worth it waiting for him? Does the Life in the UK test expire (I took it in December 2020).

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Which route ILR ot EUSS? Non-EU partner of EU citizen, in the UK for 10 years (1+ year with EUSS)

Post by CULLINAN » Thu May 20, 2021 9:39 pm

Section 6(1) BNA 1981.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... l_2021.pdf

LIUK has no expiry.

You are not a dependent on your husband anymore. Each individual has to meet the requirements on their own. As long you meet the AN requirements you can apply now or later. Applying together or not has absolutely no effect.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Which route ILR ot EUSS? Non-EU partner of EU citizen, in the UK for 10 years (1+ year with EUSS)

Post by alterhase58 » Thu May 20, 2021 9:48 pm

There is only one route to naturalisation - note that "EU Settled Status" is a type of ILR, for EU citizens and their family members - you cannot opt for UK ILR.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

irenesalazar
Newly Registered

Post by irenesalazar » Fri May 21, 2021 5:52 pm

Thank you both for your responses!