ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR and Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Tayyaba111
Newly Registered
Pakistan

ILR and Naturalisation

Post by Tayyaba111 » Tue May 25, 2021 12:13 am

Hi everyone,
I’m bit confused about my future status in the uk .
I’ve been granted asylum in the uk in January 2017 and my ilr Id due on end of this year .
So just want to know ...
Can I apply Naturalisation after one year of ilr ...?
A friend of mine told me that - I have to wait for further 5 years after getting ilr .
Kind regards

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: ILR and Naturalisation

Post by CULLINAN » Tue May 25, 2021 3:08 am

How and when did you come to UK? Did you come to UK illegally or had any period of overstay in UK before your asylum was accepted?
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: ILR and Naturalisation

Post by CULLINAN » Tue May 25, 2021 3:18 am

If you entered UK illegally or overstayed in UK in the last 10 years prior to making a Naturalisation application, then you will have to wait 10 years from the date you were granted a legal status to stay in UK.

On the other hand, if you entered UK legally, did not overstayed your visa at that time and made an in time application for asylum, you can apply 12 months after having ILR (or straight away after ILR if you are married to a British Citizen).

Page 46 onwards:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... gov-uk.pdf
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.