ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

University degree - year of award?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

need_a_tier1

University degree - year of award?

Post by need_a_tier1 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:54 pm

Hello, I wrote the final examintaion for my BE degree in dec 2000. The result came out around feb 2001 and the final degree was awarded in june 2001.

I am now confused about what should I fill in the "year of award" section in the Tier-1 (general) application form.

Both my provisional & original degree certificates say that "I passed the 2000 examintaion". But, the date on top of the degree certificate is June 2001.

Also, the "points based calculator" asks for the 'year of award' - what should I mention 2000 or 2001.

One more question, what should I mention in the "course duration" section - "4 years & less than 5 years". I have complete my 4 year BE degree.

Thanks in advance!!

amitkddas

Hi

Post by amitkddas » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:17 am

Hi,

4 years and Less than 5 is the answer.

What ever is ur concern, just make sure that u mention/highlight the same in your cover letter.

As for question on the application doc:

1. If the question asks "Year of Award" - write 2001
2. If it is "Year of Completion" - write 2000

In my case both were 2005, so i did not face this. But dont bother much, just mention it in your cover letter. And make it look like its an info rather than putting it in words which would make it look suspicious. I am not sure if i have made my point clear here. But after you have made ur cover letter u can send it to me for review (thats if you wish to). i will give my advise, its upto u then to take it or RUBBISH it ... :)

regards,
Amit

swati46

Post by swati46 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:24 pm

Mention the date and year which is mentioned in the degree as the year of passing. Degree can be awarded late , but the year of passing does not change. It should match with what is written in the degree.

arunbast
Newly Registered

Hi

Post by arunbast » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi,

Course Duration - 4 yrs and less than 5 yrs.
Year of Award - June 2001

LondonGuy

Post by LondonGuy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:21 pm

I think year of award should be same as year of passing. e.g. I passed my BE exam in 97 and degree certificate is signed in 1999.
Thats why my year of award should be 1997 only.

Can any experianced member comment on this?

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:00 am

Yes, this is quite a bug confusion for me. As I mentioned before, I wrote my final exam in Dec 2000, but received my degree certificate only in 2001.

The degree certificate is date mid 2001, but reads that I passed the 2000 final exam.

Again, not sure what should I write in the "year of award" column.

s_saini
India

Post by s_saini » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:17 am

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/workin ... ification/

It stats
How we define the date of award
The date on which you were first notified in writing, by the awarding institution, that the qualification has been awarded is the date on which the qualification was obtained (known as the date of award).

check this link might be this will help.
This case is considered in POst study work. But giving details about Year of award.

LondonGuy

Post by LondonGuy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:49 pm

Generally in india degree is issues after few years of passed out so I am still not sure which year to write.

But I think this should be a non-issue as year of award does not decide the points obtained in qualification section.

Jedi001
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Jedi001 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:20 pm

LondonGuy wrote:Generally in india degree is issues after few years of passed out so I am still not sure which year to write.

But I think this should be a non-issue as year of award does not decide the points obtained in qualification section.
Even I have the same doubt; I have cleared my degree in 2004 however due to some printing mistakes in name field I had to get the name change done; and bangalore university people so helpful that they did that after couple of other mistake which made me wait more than 3 years...yes its true....atlast in 2008 I have got everything done correctly. Now do I have to put "Year of Award": 2004 OR 2008?

Regards

Jedi001