ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel during naturalisation process

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Bgsbgs
United Kingdom

Travel during naturalisation process

Post by Bgsbgs » Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm

I am looking to understand what the restrictions on travel during the naturalisation process are (for my wife who is in the process of applying).

The first step is applying for naturalisation. This takes up to 6 months as far as I understand.

After that, she needs to go to a citizenship ceremony. Within a few days after that, she needs to return her BRP. (How long after the application would the ceremony be)?

Then she needs to apply for a passport, which takes up to ten weeks.

As far as I understand, she can travel during the naturalisation process, up to the citizenship ceremony.

Then presumably after the ceremony she can’t travel because she won’t be able to get back into the country? Is that right? Or will they give her a new doc that replaces it?

During the 10 weeks when the passport application is being processed I understand she can’t travel - is that right?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Travel during naturalisation process

Post by CULLINAN » Thu May 27, 2021 10:53 pm

Timeline delays due to corona; it can take 6-10 months or more to reach ceremony:

british-citizenship/steps-to-follow-aft ... 14359.html
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

londonukapp
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by londonukapp » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:21 am

I have the same question and was not able to find an answer on the (hugely helpful) board.

Once you receive your certificate of British citizenship you are supposed to return your BRP and in order to submit your UK passport application you have to provide your foreign passport.

My questions are:
(1) Can you travel after you receive your certificate of British citizenship, but before you apply for a passport using just your foreign passport (i.e. but without your BRP)?
(2) Can you travel while your UK passport application is pending (I assume not because you have to provide your foreign passport with your application).

Thanks in advance for any insights.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:02 am

londonukapp wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:21 am
Can you travel after you receive your certificate of British citizenship, but before you apply for a passport using just your foreign passport (i.e. but without your BRP)?
The answer may very well depend on your non-British pssport.

There are two separate and distinct challenges that you would face when trying to re-enter the UK without a British passport or a BRP.

a) The airline may not allow you to board a flight to the UK if you require a visa to enter the UK and you haven't got a British passport or BRP. A certificate of naturalisation is not acceptable for the purpose of international travel.

b) Assuming that you can get on the flight and arrive at the UK border (immigration counters), you may well face a long delay at the immigration counters while the Border Force verify that you are indeed a British citizen. If your non-British passport can't be used at the E-Gates, I would write off 4-6 hours at the airport/seaport after arrival.

Finally, if your non-British passport is privileged enough to allow you to use the E-Gates, there is effectively no need for a British passport for the purpose of travel to and from the UK (you will of course need it for other purposes, such as to demonstrate your right to work in the UK, etc).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

londonukapp
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by londonukapp » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Thanks very much for your insights.

I am mostly worried about spending 4-6 hours waiting for Border Force to verify that I am a citizen. Usually I can use the e-gates with my US passport, but my understanding is that e-gates have been closed for arrivals from amber countries.

The advice line suggested that if I included a letter and pre-paid envelope with my documents they usually will try to send them back more quickly. That would at least get my US passport back, but doesn't solve the no BRP/no British passport issue.