ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

contract Oracle jobs?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ramesh1

contract Oracle jobs?

Post by ramesh1 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:46 pm

I heard contract jobs in oracle technologies like SQL,PL/SQL and even oracle DBA contracting would be easy to get jobs? even in this hugy bailout periods do seniors thing this is true?

Kaff
Member of Standing

Post by Kaff » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:27 am

yes this is true if you have sound knowledge of that technology.
Why not give it a try through differant job sites. Good luck
Kaff

ramesh1

thanks - pls guide me too!

Post by ramesh1 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:06 am

Kaff thanks for your reply. I did search in reed and found 100's of openings for oracle technologies. My friend who recently returned from uk advised to me learn some datawarehousing technologies like informatica,ETL along with oracle - SQL/PL SQL and DBA skills and that would help me to land atleast a contract job. My question here is i am just a started in Oracle but 3 more months i have time to get relieved from current company and travel to UK. So just by learning Oracle technologies and DW tools will help to grab a contract job? I will not be having real time experience will it be tough?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:57 am

Actual experience matters in UK, I wouldn't employ someone who just had theoretical knowledge.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:44 am

Just learning a new technology won't earn you the required experience in that skill set. And especially oracle DBA domain is a sort of niche area where experience is the best teacher.
You may end up getting a contract job depending upon how technical the interview would be. But in these uncertain times the main test will be to retain the contract by performing consistently which will not be an easy task without the required experience.

ramesh1

contract Oracle jobs?

Post by ramesh1 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:32 pm

dnicky and Wanderer thank you for the guidance.I have around 8 yrs of IT experience but 4+ in mainframes - cobol/Db2 and 4+ in Vb/Sql server.Also i got DB2 Fundamental certification. So i am quite comfortable in SQL so probably i should concentrate on Oracle - SQL/PL SQL development openings rather than in Oracle DBA openings. I am literally in confused stage as mainframe does not has much openings in UK i should concentrate Oracle technologies with datawarehousing tools additionally like Informatica etc...I do agree without experience it would not be easy. I believe so i need to put hard effort in mastering the skills before reaching UK. So first step i should concentrate on SQL and PL-SQL and then i might thing about DBA skills i would appreciate if senior members could guide me in right direction.

Kaff
Member of Standing

Re: contract Oracle jobs?

Post by Kaff » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:41 am

ramesh1 wrote:dnicky and Wanderer thank you for the guidance.I have around 8 yrs of IT experience but 4+ in mainframes - cobol/Db2 and 4+ in Vb/Sql server.Also i got DB2 Fundamental certification. So i am quite comfortable in SQL so probably i should concentrate on Oracle - SQL/PL SQL development openings rather than in Oracle DBA openings. I am literally in confused stage as mainframe does not has much openings in UK i should concentrate Oracle technologies with datawarehousing tools additionally like Informatica etc...I do agree without experience it would not be easy. I believe so i need to put hard effort in mastering the skills before reaching UK. So first step i should concentrate on SQL and PL-SQL and then i might thing about DBA skills i would appreciate if senior members could guide me in right direction.
Based on your experience you might get a junior job in any IT sector, but be aware most of junior jobs goes to locals. So it is hard to say what you will get.. You might get jobs in your own domain, but as all said you need to be experienced DBA to SECURE good DBA job.. with your experience you won't get a Junior DBA at all..So my advice is either get exposure in Oracle as DBA and get involved in project in oracle, go through it practically OR come over here and hunt for a job in your own domain which later on you can transform into oracle (provided you get some oracle certification and training)
Hope this helps
Kaff