ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can Children Born Abroad With ILR Skip Naturalisation Application If Both Parent Now have British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sassybee

Can Children Born Abroad With ILR Skip Naturalisation Application If Both Parent Now have British Citizenship

Post by sassybee » Mon May 31, 2021 7:43 pm

Hi All,

I have a quick question.

I gave birth to all my kids abroad and we all reside in UK as a family with ILR. Now both parent have acquired British Citizenship, do the kids need to apply for naturalisation to become British. That is can I apply for British Passport for my kids without the whole naturalisation application etc.

All kids are below 18years.

Thank You
Sassybee

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can Children Born Abroad With ILR Skip Naturalisation Application If Both Parent Now have British Citizenship

Post by CR001 » Mon May 31, 2021 7:45 pm

No, you cannot skip the step of registering them as British on form MN1.

Only a British citizen can apply for a British passport. Your children are not British citizens.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Re: Can Children Born Abroad With ILR Skip Naturalisation Application If Both Parent Now have British Citizenship

Post by secret.simon » Mon May 31, 2021 8:27 pm

sassybee wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 7:43 pm
do the kids need to apply for naturalisation to become British.
Yes.
sassybee wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 7:43 pm
can I apply for British Passport for my kids without the whole naturalisation applicatio
No.

British citizenship is acquired automatically only if specific conditions are met at the time of birth. Acquisition of British citizenship at any time after birth requires either registration or naturalisation.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

sassybee

Post by sassybee » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:09 pm

Thanks @secret.simon and @CR001