ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Interview for British Child Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bravopapa

Interview for British Child Passport

Post by bravopapa » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:09 am

I have recently been invited for an interview for my daughter's passport application. She was born late last year. (we are living outside the UK).

I have no idea what questions to expect. Can someone share his experience please?

Thank you

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Interview for British Child Passport

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:27 am

The interview is to validate your / your child's identity - they will ask you more or less random questions, about you, your family, siblings, your job, your phone provider, and many other things, i.e. questions you should be able to answer without hesitation. In 2016 I had a face to face interview in London for my first UK passport and those were the type of questions asked. Couldn't answer a couple of question because I didn't know the answers! But no issue.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

bizman
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by bizman » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:38 am

Not a big deal. Just to affirm your identity. They will ask you your day to day life engagements etc.
Bizman

HCJNL
United Kingdom

Post by HCJNL » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:06 pm

I assume that your daughter is automatically British-born by descent via yourself or the child's mother, or both, rather than being registered.
Unlike first adult passport applications, it is hard to predict the sort of questions they will ask. But we know what they are interested in. They want to positively identify your daughter. And they want to confirm that she indeed qualifies to be British. So they will be interested in your daughter's relationship to you and/or the child's mother, depending on the route by which your daughter qualifies for citizenship.
But you can relax. Your daughter is British. They are just performing checks. Just answer their questions truthfully, and as fully as possible, and you will be fine.
It is possible to anticipate what sort of questions they might ask you.
It sounds intrusive, and the questions may come about in a roundabout way, but they may want to confirm that you were able to be with the mother at the time of conception. It won't be a forensic examination, but it will help if you have proof you were not abroad, for example. This is only relevant if your daughter inherits citizenship exclusively via you, and not the mother.
In which country was your daughter born? This will affect the level of confidence they have in documents such as birth certificates. And if the birth certificate was issued some time after the date of the birth, they may ask you to explain the delay.
If your daughter is born in hospital, that will reassure the interviewer because it is harder to falsify hospital births. So if you have hospital or other medical records, concerning your daughter's birth, which you did not send with your application, take them along.
One possible, if unlikely, outcome is that they invite you and/or the mother to have a DNA test. But that's not the end of the world. But there is also a good chance that this interview is entirely routine.
Good luck! I have just applied for my 10 year old son's first passport. He qualified via myself, the father. But we are in The Netherlands, a country whose official records are universally trusted. And my son has been registered, rather than being British at birth, which means we have had to jump through a lot of hoops already to prove he could become British. So I do not expect to be invited for interview. We will see!