ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ENTRY INTO U.K AS A U.S CITIZEN ADVICE URGENTLY REQUIRED!!!

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pookie
Newly Registered

ENTRY INTO U.K AS A U.S CITIZEN ADVICE URGENTLY REQUIRED!!!

Post by pookie » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:40 pm

Hi guys

Hope you can help!!!

If you are a U.S citizen, and you made an application as a highly skilled migrant for a 5 year work visa for the U.K and had your application denied due to being detained at a London airport twice in the last 2 years, one of those times, being sent back to the U.S, are you still able to enter the U.K as a visitor? and if so, how long realistically would you be allowed entry? or would you not be allowed back in at all?
No criminal act had been committed in the U.K, just overstayed on a student visa without getting another renewed, this was over a year ago, cannot remember how long she overstayed, but it wasn't over 3 months, not that that matters in this case.
So can anyone advise me as to whether my partner would be allowed entry?
and are there any suggestions on the types of visas or applications she could possibly make for the U.K? or is that idea not an option at all in this case? any help would be appreciated.

many thanks

ps: she wants to fly back into London this coming tuesday, so and advice would be great!

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:37 pm

If she tries to enter as a visitor her previous history means she would almost certainly be refused entry again. I would seriously advise against it unless she secures a visa prior to travel.

pookie
Newly Registered

Post by pookie » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:39 pm

thank you for your advice, that is exactly what i was worried about, the thing is she has all her stuff in our flat here in London, and all she needs is a little time to get a few things sorted here before she goes back to the states, she isn't trying to stay here at all, i mean is there any visa you or anybody would know of that she could apply for, and may have a chance in obtaining?
also can anyone tell me why they have come down so hard on her for one mistake? and why they would not allow her entry at all into the U.K? and does this mean she will never be allowed into the U.K?

many thanks

sri_sunny

Post by sri_sunny » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:55 pm

Maybe atleast for next 10 years and gettings left things back is really not a convincing issue for the immigration people.

Overstaying would;nt have been a problem to some extent... entering after deportation is a serious offence

pookie
Newly Registered

Post by pookie » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:08 pm

ok i see, i can totally understand that would be the case, are there any special circumstances that would allow her to enter for a specific time frame at all?

thxx :(

Snoozles

Post by Snoozles » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:12 pm

I am sorry to hear about your case.

Immigration rules are there for a reason, and if somebody overstay once, they will most probably do it again - therefore they will likely refuse her entry.

I do not think that they were hard on her - al they did was refuse her entry - not because they are being unfair - but because she broke the law.

She will be banned from the UK for a number of years, and then she will be able to re-enter. Unfortunetly I cannot tell you how many years the ban will be for.

I think that she should accept it, and you two need to move on from this. I know that there is nothing more stressful than worrying about a visa and deportation. - And in this case I do not think there is much you can do.

I don't know of anybody that ever overstayed without knowing about it. - And you say that your friend did it unknowingly?? I don't think the UK immigration will believe you, which will not help your case.

I know that it is a very very stressful time, and good luck to you two.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:13 pm

pookie wrote:thank you for your advice, that is exactly what i was worried about, the thing is she has all her stuff in our flat here in London, and all she needs is a little time to get a few things sorted here before she goes back to the states, she isn't trying to stay here at all, i mean is there any visa you or anybody would know of that she could apply for, and may have a chance in obtaining?
also can anyone tell me why they have come down so hard on her for one mistake? and why they would not allow her entry at all into the U.K? and does this mean she will never be allowed into the U.K?

many thanks
Time to pack her stuff and ship it to her.

bani

Post by bani » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:20 pm

pookie wrote:ok i see, i can totally understand that would be the case, are there any special circumstances that would allow her to enter for a specific time frame at all?

thxx :(
She can apply for a visitors visa from a British consulate in the US. She can explain that she only wants a single entry visa for a few days to collect her things. If she asks for such a restricted visa, they might agree. She can show documents that she lived here, and proof of the things she is collecting or selling or sorting out. But to be honest, you can just as easily sell or ship her possessions for her, so I don't know if it's worth the trouble.