ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Boarder Control/Immigration officers

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rachprocter4

Boarder Control/Immigration officers

Post by rachprocter4 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:29 pm

This question is about when you are actually talking to the immigration officers.

I have a fiancee that is planning to come over for 6 months (Our relationship started in the US, where he is from, I had to move back to the UK as my US visa ran out (I am British)) to experience the country, see if a life in the UK is right for him/us. He then plans to return to the US to apply for a fiancee visa.

I have been advised by someone who works on security at Gatwick (I work next to Gatwick so have friends that work there) for him not to say he's my fiancee/boyfriend/any relationship like that, because immigration just presume you'll over stay your 6 months. Is this true?? We aren't used to lying to people.

He has all the savings he'll need, plus more, to support himself for the 6 months.

What prove may he need to prove he's going to leave after six months?

I have read two stories on here of US citizens being refused entry recently, it's making me very nervous.

This is truly what he plans to do. We are law abiding people that just want to be together!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:02 pm

He needs to show he is a genuine visitor - cash to support himself (or sponsor) itinerary for his tours etc, things he's gonna see, all that, and reasons to return, like a job (difficult for a six month 'holiday') family, etc..

I dunno what to advise - we see some right numpties on 'UK Border Force' on Sky One - visiting 'Birmingham Castle' - carrying CV's in their luggage, unable to get even a simple lie straight in their heads, I would go for the truth, unless he's a convincing liar, and if he is and u know it, bin him!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:10 pm

The number of US turn arounds is tiny. Usually because they get smart arsed with the immigration officer and / or can't give a credible set of answers when interviewed. If his story and your story are the same, the evidence is there to show he can support himself (with your help of course), accommodation is sorted with a letter or evidence to show he has somewhere to stay it should not be a problem. A return ticket with a fixed return date helps but is not essential. The chances of being refused are very minimal and I would suggest you make up an entry pack with all the information that is needed and go the normal visa waiver route.

The problem with US & UK individuals is the visa waiver entry system. It allows them and us to fly between the respective countries without a pre entry clearance visa. This is great for holiday and business trips where there is every notion of return. Not so great when someone turns up stating they will be staying for the maximum period allowed. It brings (too) many questions to mind about intent. Why are they actually here and why do they want to stay that length of time congers’ up a multitude of variables that are hard to ignore. Apart from the advice above how else can you avoid the problem?

You can apply for an entry visa in the USA, if all you say is true and he has ample funds it will almost certainly be approved. No issue at point of entry thereafter. This is the belt and braces approach and really is overkill.

The other option is to apply for the fiancé visa now. At the end of the day it will amount to the same thing. If life in the UK is not for him then there will be no loss. I guess you will move to the USA?

rachprocter4

Post by rachprocter4 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:43 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:The number of US turn arounds is tiny. Usually because they get smart arsed with the immigration officer and / or can't give a credible set of answers when interviewed. If his story and your story are the same, the evidence is there to show he can support himself (with your help of course), accommodation is sorted with a letter or evidence to show he has somewhere to stay it should not be a problem. A return ticket with a fixed return date helps but is not essential. The chances of being refused are very minimal and I would suggest you make up an entry pack with all the information that is needed and go the normal visa waiver route.

The problem with US & UK individuals is the visa waiver entry system. It allows them and us to fly between the respective countries without a pre entry clearance visa. This is great for holiday and business trips where there is every notion of return. Not so great when someone turns up stating they will be staying for the maximum period allowed. It brings (too) many questions to mind about intent. Why are they actually here and why do they want to stay that length of time congers’ up a multitude of variables that are hard to ignore. Apart from the advice above how else can you avoid the problem?

You can apply for an entry visa in the USA, if all you say is true and he has ample funds it will almost certainly be approved. No issue at point of entry thereafter. This is the belt and braces approach and really is overkill.

The other option is to apply for the fiancé visa now. At the end of the day it will amount to the same thing. If life in the UK is not for him then there will be no loss. I guess you will move to the USA?
Do you think applying for a visitors visa is appropriate? Or worth doing?

An entry pack? With his bank/savings statements, a letter from me saying he is staying with me? (I rent a two bedroom house) Can you advise on anything else he should carry with him? I'm so sorry if this is repetitive, I'm new to all this and very nervous to show we are just trying to follow the laws/rules of immigration.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:01 pm

Do not take this as an exhaustive list but here goes:

His bank statements including savings accounts etc. for three months
Your bank statements / savings accounts etc as above
If he has fixed assets (house etc) in the US, evidence of that.
A letter from you saying he is going to be staying with you.
A letter from your LANDLORD saying it is ok he is staying with you.
Copies of emails or telecoms showing long term contact between you.
Any evidence of you staying in the US on your visa. Copies from your passport.
If you are engaged receipt for ring etc.
A letter of clear intent stating the options. He is there to see if UK is for him if so he will return to USA to apply for fiancé visa. OR you will be applying to go to USA to get married if UK is not for him.

All the above placed in a folder in his hand luggage will only be needed IF the IO asks / makes him sit down at the control point. He does NOT need to produce the pack up front as that will generate more interest than needs be.

DO NOT INCLUDE OR BRING ANY EDUCATIONAL CERTIFICATES, CV'S OR ANYTHING THAT LOOKS USEFUL TO GAIN EMPLOYMENT. That sends the wrong message.

As for applying for a visitors visa - my own view is not to. BUT others might have a better ideas.

rachprocter4

Post by rachprocter4 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:06 pm

Thank you very much for taking the time to spell it out to a silly, confused person! I will gather most of the information mentioned and go for it. Thank you again

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:17 pm

You are certainly not silly; you used the forum to good effect. As for confused you’re not that as you knew your issue and sought how to resolve it. Seems to me your boyfriend has chosen well!

Wishing you all the best and hope everything goes well.

:D