ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Home country passport return

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

myuser
Newly Registered
Sudan

Home country passport return

Post by myuser » Wed May 26, 2021 11:26 am

Hi All,

Does anyone know if I can ask for my home country passport to be returned to me after getting the British passport?

Note: I was on refugee status.

Many Thanks

London22
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Re: Home country passport return

Post by London22 » Wed May 26, 2021 2:25 pm

myuser wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 11:26 am
Hi All,

Does anyone know if I can ask for my home country passport to be returned to me after getting the British passport?

Note: I was on refugee status.

Many Thanks
If your country is safe for your travel then you can ask or can get a new passport.Not all ex refugees have their home countries become safer when they become British so everyone has their own circumstances.If you are from Syria or Afghanistan then most hosting countries consider them safe for refugees to be returned .Latest about this is Denmark that has revoked refugee status of many Syrians & asking them to return there as it is safe .In Germany ,many Afghan refugees are being returned deeming their country safe .When a country is safe for its refugees to be returned then it is safe for an ex refugee as well to go & have a visit .Applying refugee rules on ex refugees is weird & nonsensical.
In random cases under the hostile environment it is happening .
Keep us updated here if you visit your home country .

myuser
Newly Registered
Sudan

Post by myuser » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:33 pm

thanks for the reply, I believe when you get the British passport you are allowed to get back your home country passport that you handed to the home office with no harm, is that not right?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:40 pm

myuser wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:33 pm
thanks for the reply, I believe when you get the British passport you are allowed to get back your home country passport that you handed to the home office with no harm, is that not right?
Yes you can. You need to request the Travel Document Section to return your Home Country’s Passport after you get your British Passport. You need to return your HOTD also.
Holders of HOTDs who have become British citizens
When a person becomes a British citizen they no longer qualify for an HOTD. TDS must destroy the HOTD and, on request, must return any national passport previously kept by TDS to the holder by recorded delivery post.
Page 50:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _clean.pdf

Travel Documents Section
Lunar House
40 Wellesley Road Croydon
CR9 2BY
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:40 pm

myuser wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:33 pm
Not quite sure what you mean by that statement. Presumably you are now a dual national British/Origin country.
I understand that British diplomatic support is not normally available to British dual nationals in their country of origin, i.e. you count as a local of your origin country. Being British is not necessarily a protection from mistreatment. Though people have reported travelling back with no issue (depends on the country of course).
https://www.gov.uk/dual-citizenship
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.