ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship test question

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ali541

Citizenship test question

Post by ali541 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:13 pm

Hi. if my wife passes the citizenship test lets say in december this year. can she apply for her ILR and the same time or does she have to wait until she is coming up to the end of her 2 year spouse visa.

she came here end of march so if she passes in december can she apply then.

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:18 pm

As the qualifying period is 2 years she will have to wait until a month before the visa expires.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:20 pm

The point of a 2-year period (it used to be one year) is to ensure that the visa-holder has settled in the UK with his/her spouse, and that he/she didn't just use marriage as a means of gaining entry to the UK.

It's good to have got the test out of the way so quickly, but your wife can only apply for ILR a month before her visa expires

ali541

Post by ali541 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:45 pm

hi thks for replying. that has answered my question. so a month before the end date. i guess that will february 2010........

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:24 pm

She can apply 28 days before the equivalent date (2 years earlier) that she entered the UK. If you post the date of entry and the expiry date of the visa, I can tell you exactly.