ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I need my passport back for travel...

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Milsey
Newly Registered

I need my passport back for travel...

Post by Milsey » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:24 am

Hi,

I applied for my ILR about 7 weeks ago. In the envelope that I sent was two applications, one for me and my bro. We both share some of the same docuements and we wanted to send them together.

I have one slight probelm now, I didn't realise the turn around time on the applications when I sent it and I booked a trip to South Africa for a family wedding in 4 weeks time.

The wrote to the UK Border Agency last week monday explaining the situation and they have not responded as of yet.

I've also spoken to their contact centre twice and they said they can't help me untill the application has hit the 14 week period (which I think is ridiculous considering it cost £750!). The person I spoke to there "John" was extremely rude.

Please could someone tell me what my options are? If the worst came to worst I will withdraw my application as the trip cost a lot more than the passport application.

Thanks for your time.

M

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:41 am

I can see 2 options, withdraw your application and resubmit on return (assuming you have valid leave to remain) or ask your high commission for another passport. If you choose the latter please note that South African temporary passports are not valid for travel to the UK.

Milsey
Newly Registered

Post by Milsey » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:18 am

Thanks for your response... could you please answer these qauestions.

1) Would this be a valid enough reason to get a temporary passport for travel?

2) Is there a temporary entry clearance document that I can get to re-nter the UK with a temporary SA possport?

3) Can I fast track my application now that its already been sent?

Thanks,

M

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:36 am

The answer to 1) is a matter for your governent to decide. The answer to 2) is you cannot use a temporary South African passport to travel to the UK under any circumstances. A temporary passport is different to an emergency travel document.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:37 am

I do not think asking temporary passport will solve the problem in this instance. Your LTR/FLR/Residence permit is on your old passport. When you leave or want to Re-enter UK how are you going to prove that you have LTR/FLR/Residence permit to Re-enter UK?

This is why if you read in this forum, the majority of people, prefer to go directly to PEO, rather then send it by post you will get at the same day. The different is just about £200.

When you applied for your ILR you already aware of the risk that you might not get your passport when you need it. Good that you ask this question so people could learn it from your experience. So this is about assessing the risk of loosing £950 or £200 you are there to assess the risk
Milsey wrote:Thanks for your response... could you please answer these qauestions.

1) Would this be a valid enough reason to get a temporary passport for travel?

2) Is there a temporary entry clearance document that I can get to re-nter the UK with a temporary SA possport?

3) Can I fast track my application now that its already been sent?

Thanks,

M
Pantaiema

Milsey
Newly Registered

Post by Milsey » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:46 am

Well at least people will learn from my mistake.... If you have learnt from this mistake and would like to make a donation please contact me!!! :lol:

Thanks for your help!

M

JESSIES

Post by JESSIES » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:07 pm

have you got a friend who owns a business. Maybe he/she can write you an job offer letter and you can ask for urgent treatment. Might not work but i would give it a try.

Milsey
Newly Registered

Post by Milsey » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:22 pm

Is a family wedding in a different country not seen as urgent??

Its a funny thing really because to the individual its extremely urgent but to the Border Agency the just don't care.

But if it was the Case Worker who needed to attend a family wedding that would be seen urgent!

sri_sunny

Post by sri_sunny » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:46 pm

Write to them rather than speaking....

HO guys act quickly on written requests

Milsey
Newly Registered

Post by Milsey » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:00 pm

sri_sunny wrote:Write to them rather than speaking....

HO guys act quickly on written requests
I wrote to them last monday, yet to recieve a reply.

I've managed to get through to someone who has given me some hope... I called my regional Border Agency complaints department and the person I spoke to told me:

1 - The application has been looked at by a case worker on 08/10/2008.
2 - They are in the process of sending me some information (he wasn't allowed to tell me what as he isn't the case worker)
3 - He would call the case worker to speed up the application process.

On point 2, could this mean that the my passport is in the process of being sent back to me with new Visa or is it more likely to be that they are looking for more information?

They also said that if I cancel my application it won't cancel my bro's. They also said that if I were to cancel I must specify that.

Thanks,

M

visa_applicant
Newly Registered

I am stuck in the same problem as well

Post by visa_applicant » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:42 pm

Well, there is an option in other countries, but In India, its only through post that you send you documents.
I am stuck in the same situation too. I have to travel to US this month end and I havent heard from the Home Office for the past 6 weeks.

@Milsey, Could you share the email Id where you mailed the HO.

Thanks,!!
Anand

republique
BANNED

Re: I am stuck in the same problem as well

Post by republique » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:52 pm

visa_applicant wrote:Well, there is an option in other countries, but In India, its only through post that you send you documents.
I am stuck in the same situation too. I have to travel to US this month end and I havent heard from the Home Office for the past 6 weeks.

@Milsey, Could you share the email Id where you mailed the HO.

Thanks,!!
Anand
If you are American you can get a second passport or temporary one.

Milsey
Newly Registered

Post by Milsey » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:53 pm

I received a letter from the Border Agency saying that they had received my application about a week after I sent it. I used the address off that to send my letter that I wrote.

I'm sure it was the at the Croydon address.