ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Green Card lottery - possible regrets?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

altec01
Newly Registered

Green Card lottery - possible regrets?

Post by altec01 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:57 pm

Hi

I'm thinking about applying to Green Card lottery system, if I don't miss the dead line.

But, I'm having some thoughts on my future actions... let say I apply for the lottery and I don't win. Then in a few months I apply for business visa, which I should have no problems getting, and after 6 months I would apply for extension or another business visa. And let say I find a nice girlfriend which I would like to marry...
Or then I go out of US for a year, and then go back for a month or two on VWP...

Is it possible that because I applied for lottery they would 'mark' me as a possible 'the one who is trying to live in US' and then deny my business visa request or any other visa or marrying situation...

Am I over thinking this?

Thanks

macaroni

Post by macaroni » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:17 pm

I think that you may be thinking too much! :o I think that the US government does keep record of who enters the lottery, but I don't see why that should matter. :? If you were going to be an illegal alien in the USA, I don't think you would bother with a lottery.

iamwhoever

Post by iamwhoever » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:39 pm

The bottom line is that you meet the qualifications to apply for the lottery, meaning you're a citizen of a country that qualifies. As long as you have that, you can apply from wherever on earth you wish. You can even change to the green card from whatever visa you are on.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:44 am

iamwhoever wrote:The bottom line is that you meet the qualifications to apply for the lottery, meaning you're a citizen of a country that qualifies.
Citizenship is irrelevant. Birthplace is what matters, or in some cases, spouse or parents birthplace.

altec01
Newly Registered

Post by altec01 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:28 am

Hi

thanx, I guess I was overthinking :)

I'm not planning on any illegal staying.

It is strange, how difficult it is to get to US to do some business... I'm an IT guy and would like to take advantage of 300M+ market, and in normal business you're not taking away opportunities from US citizens, but you're creating new solutions, products, services... so, just a plus for any market.

So, for us Europeans, with having an eye on US, it is very strange. On the other hand, I understand US's 'need to restrict' access from a bit poorer countries... especially when you watch some US news about illegal immigrants, crime... and you get the feeling that only large US companies are for immigrants -> cheaper labor...

And when you see how difficult it is, and the US's 'fear' ... then you start thinking if such situations, like applying for green crad, could have negative effect.

It is also true that I didn't really check opportunities in other countries, so perhaps US is not special in this matter.

thanx