ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

irish citizen living in Northern Ireland - apply for ILR????

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mksilvermoon
Newly Registered

irish citizen living in Northern Ireland - apply for ILR????

Post by mksilvermoon » Mon May 09, 2005 11:01 pm

Hi

I hope I'm not asking stupid questions but I would so value any advice/guidance

I am an Irish-born (&passport) citizen, I came to Northern ireland in 1990 (15 years ago) to go to college and have lived and worked here ever since. I now co-own a home with a friend (who is british) and have been self-employed since 1999 - but am about to return to employment (permanent counselling post with cancer charity) within the next month

I want to apply for naturalisation so should i apply for ILR? what category would i apply under? i do not have my passports for the last 10 years - i lost my last one in a recent house move and the re-issued one is from april this year - would a letter from inland revenue stating i have paid all my taxes be sufficient for tax element of application? I have bank accounts etc here

ANY AND ALL ADVICE HUGELY VALUED

thanks so much
Mary-Kate :D

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Mon May 09, 2005 11:13 pm

My understanding of UK immigration policy pertaining to nationals of the republic of Ireland living in the UK ( to include NI) is that they are considered to be de-facto settled in the UK i.e. they hold ILR without necessarily having to apply. Call the naturalisation section of the Home Office in liverpool for further clarification.

mksilvermoon
Newly Registered

cool!

Post by mksilvermoon » Mon May 09, 2005 11:34 pm

Oh thank you

I was told by a woman on the naturalisation helpline thismorning that i'd need to apply for ILR - then I'd read just what you said on another website and am SO confused

When you say the naturalisation section of the Home Office in Liverpool do you mean the Liverpool public enquiry offcie? (0151) 2370405 - Reliance House, LPool??

thanks!

MK

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue May 10, 2005 12:08 am

Nationality help desk - 0845 010 5200.

I suspect you may have to formally obtain ILR or rather confirmation of such through the Public Enquiry Office in Liverpool - 0151 237 0405. Likewise I believe this will not be considered a straightforward application and it may be that you have to deal with it via post. No harm in going to the PEO though if 500 GBP is not an issue for you. You must hold ILR for 12 months before applying for naturalisation unless your spouse is a British Citizen. Again I would apply for naturalisation as soon as ILR granted rather than wait 12 months (if this applies to you) - include the Irish defacto settled status position as a ground for a concession.

Out of interest is there a reason for the proposed application - as an EEA national you have a right of residence in the UK.

mksilvermoon
Newly Registered

thanks

Post by mksilvermoon » Tue May 10, 2005 12:22 am

nothing is ever simple!

I am about to begin the process to internationally adopt a child - and i thought being naturalised as a british citizen might not hurt just in case there are any immigration problems for my child - no i'm not married - how long does it usually take for ILR to be granted by post?

I will contact Liverpool tomorrow - the sooner i can get something moving the better just in case it turns out to be crucial to my case

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue May 10, 2005 9:43 am

I am sure that being naturalised as British will not hurt the adoption process but I question whether it will make any difference?

Under EU law you have an absolute right to live and work in the UK, and that is ignoring the special relationship between the UK and the Republic of Ireland.

You say you are not married. Could it be that that fact is more damaging to an adoption application than not being British?
John

mksilvermoon
Newly Registered

Post by mksilvermoon » Tue May 10, 2005 10:03 am

being single used to mean adoption was unlikely but not anymore (thank goodness)

I am an absolute beginner at all this immigration stuff - I was worried that I would have the right to live and work in the uk(northrn ireland) but would those rights extend to a child adpopted from another country? and when i have to re-adopt my child (as i will have to) in the UK would it be a problem if we were both effectively irish citizens?

It's all very complicated in my wee mind at the moment!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue May 10, 2005 10:30 am

would those rights extend to a child adopted from another country?
I think the answer to that is very clear ... yes! Your family members will have the same rights as you.

Can I ask, from what country are you hoping to adopt? And are you sure that that country agrees to single persons adopting?
John

mksilvermoon
Newly Registered

Post by mksilvermoon » Tue May 10, 2005 10:38 am

i am hoping to adopt from guatemala

yes they do allow for singles to adopt, as does Russia and a whole host of other countries - it's easier for single women but i have heard of some single men also being able to adopt

i am being assured by the USA agency i am in contact with that Guat is ok with my citizenship etc and I spoke with a very helpful man at the local authority this morning who said he thinks all i need to is satisfy 'residency' (but he's double checking that)

I must be crazy! Taking on 2 countries systems!!! (maybe even 3 by the tim :D e I'm done!)

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:08 pm

Kayalami wrote:Nationality help desk - 0845 010 5200.

I suspect you may have to formally obtain ILR or rather confirmation of such through the Public Enquiry Office in Liverpool - 0151 237 0405. Likewise I believe this will not be considered a straightforward application and it may be that you have to deal with it via post. No harm in going to the PEO though if 500 GBP is not an issue for you. You must hold ILR for 12 months before applying for naturalisation unless your spouse is a British Citizen. Again I would apply for naturalisation as soon as ILR granted rather than wait 12 months (if this applies to you) - include the Irish defacto settled status position as a ground for a concession.
This is an old thread but I'm responding as the situation for Irish citizens seeking to become naturalised British is not clearly explained on the Home Office website (for some reason).

Irish citizens are (normally) automatically deemed "settled" in the UK without requiring a specific grant of ILR. Hence they are eligible to apply for naturalisation after meeting normal residence requirements (no requirement to wait 12 months after ILR) and children born in the UK to Irish citizens are automatically British citizens by birth.

The best reference in the Nationality Instructions is as follows:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en ... nomic.html

Citizens of the Irish Republic, whether exercising EEA free movement rights or not, are not normally subject to any form of immigration control on arrival in the UK because of the Republic's inclusion in the Common Travel Area (s.1(3), Immigration Act 1971) ...

... The Regulations do not affect the position of EEA nationals entitled to remain indefinitely on some other basis, for example because they are entitled by virtue of diplomatic status to exemption from UK immigration control or because, as Irish nationals, they benefit under the Common Travel Area provisions. Persons in these categories should continue to be regarded as free from any restriction under the immigration laws on the period for which they may remain.

The distinction between Irish citizens and nationals of other EEA states may not be well understood by front-line Home Office or Passport Office workers. In case of confusion it's essential to escalate the issue to a manager or supervisor, and if necessary, contact one's MP.