ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

can I register as a citizen or have Right of Abode?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

abercroft
Newly Registered

can I register as a citizen or have Right of Abode?

Post by abercroft » Fri May 06, 2005 5:26 pm

Ok, I have gone over the words with a fine tooth comb many times and am about to write the Home Office for an official opinion. But I thought I would throw it out to you guys first.
I know that I can come over to the Uk on a UK ancestry visa, in fact that is what I am planning to do. But if I can get citizenship or right of abode, that would be even better.

I am asking if you think I can get either British citizenship, or Right of Abode.

Here's the story: All you lawyer types sharpen your pencils!

My maternal grandparents were born and married in Scotland. In 1926 or 1927 they left Scotland and settled in Canada. My mother was born 25 July 1927. Her parents were married at the time of her birth. My grandparents never became Canadian citizens or gave up their British nationality. I believe her status at the time of her birth would have been governed by the British Nationality and Status of Aliens Act -1914.

According to the Website I found published by the Embassy in New York my mother was a “British Subject” by right of her BIRTH in a Crown Dominion-
http://www.britainusa.com/consular/bnatlaw.asp
(paragraph 2.)

In the British Nationality Act 1948, those of “British Subject” status were translated to a
“Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies”. So my mother was now a citizen of the UK by virtue of her birth in a Crown Dominion as well as a citizen of Canada. Both being able to be held at the same time, (paragraph 3.) This act governed her status until 1983 when the British Nationality Act of 1983 was enacted.

I was born in the USA to this citizen of the UK in 1960. I have an American father. They were legally married at the time of my birth. At the time of my birth my mother's status would have been governed by the 1948 act. I have Canadian citizenship because my mother was born in Canada. My mother is now deceased.

So, in 1960 I was born to a citizen of the UK who held that status by virtue of her birth. I am a Commonwealth citizen and hold citizenship documents as well as a Canadian passport. According to the Website of the Home Office, I am entitled to registration and the Right of Abode in the UK. Huh??

This, then, is my line of reasoning in claiming the Right of Abode in the UK. I think it all hinges on that act of 1914, and my mother’s gaining her British citizenship by birth rather than descent, or by the official status of Canada at the time of her birth as a Crown Dominion.

Did my mother somehow lose that precious citizenship by BIRTH in one of the subsequent acts after her birth? I have no idea if she ever actively did anything about her status through the years. (Registering or claiming anythng.)
If she still held her status by birth as she did when she aquired it under the 1914 act, then I think I can claim Right to Abode.
Am I grasping at straws?
If so how do I prove she still held that status?

Any opinions?

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Sat May 07, 2005 3:08 pm

abercroft

The short answer is that prior to the Immigration Act of 1981 which came into effect on 1 January 1983, there was no way you could obtain British Citizenship from your mother--only through your father if he were British. If you had been been born in 1983 or later, there are circumstances where you could obtain citizenship from your mother, but probably not in your case because your mother probably was a British Citizen by descent. (Although being born is Canada when it was a dominion may be a factor which changes that).

Anyway the 1981 Act is irrelevant in your case; since you were born before 1983 the answer is no.

Your best bet seems to be the the Ancestry route you described.

Joseph

abercroft
Newly Registered

Post by abercroft » Sun May 08, 2005 4:08 am

Thanks for trying. I had already figured it was so, but you guys seem to know so much I though I would try just once more. Seems like everytime I read that stuff I see something different.

abercroft
Newly Registered

Post by abercroft » Sun May 08, 2005 4:11 am

Okay, just one small question and I will go back to lurking.
Does anyone know what sort of "leave to remain" I apply for after the four years is up? ANd is part time work goos enough to satisfy the working requirement?
(Ok, that was two, but they were both small...)
Thanks in advance.

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Sun May 08, 2005 1:09 pm

Currently, you can apply for ILR (indefinite leave to remain) on form SET(O) after 4 years. [That may change to 5 years under the proposals being submitted to Parliament.] Under section 7E of the form (see quote below) all you have to show is evidence that you are able to work. Obviously, if you are working and can provide documentation, that would satisfy the requirement.
If you are applying because of your UK ancestry, documents showing that you are able to work and intend to take or seek employment in the UK.
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en ... 20Form.pdf

Also, if your initial UK Ancestry visa falls short of 4 years, you would extend your stay on form FLR(O).

Joseph

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue May 10, 2005 12:26 am

abercroft,

An amendment to the British Nationality Act (registration under sec 4C) corrected the discrimanatory aspect of acquiring British citizenship by descent through the maternal bloodline...however such was only for those born outside the UK between 8 Feb 1961 and 31 Dec 1982. The Canadian facts satisfy the British Subject aspects but your DOB means you are out of luck. AV route is way forward...the 4 years will go quick. IMHO I don't expect the increase from 4 to 5 yrs pre applying for ILR in the AV category....this is not where the additional family members is an issue by virtue of the low number of applicants vis a vis the standard work permit scheme.

abercroft
Newly Registered

Post by abercroft » Tue May 10, 2005 4:16 am

So my little sister has the Right of Abode, born in 1964?
Phooey! (That burns me...)
I guess they had to draw the line somewhere. Just wish they had chosen an even number...

Yes, I guess UKAn is they way to go. I should be applying for it iin the next week or so. I have everything they ask for including more than $60,000 on my bank account, and all documents are straight from the vital records offices, with raised seals on them. Surely thay will be enough to satisfy them?

Thanks for the info and the reassurance, it is nerve wracking (sp?).
If anyone has been through this type of visa I would welcome any advice.

penanglad

Andrew

Post by penanglad » Wed May 11, 2005 1:58 pm

She is probably in the same boat as you, since your mother was herself only a citizen by descent.