ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Job Market - Accountants

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

justy
Newly Registered

UK Job Market - Accountants

Post by justy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:19 am

Hey Guys

I'm a qualified accountant planning to head to the UK. Does anyone now what the market is like there at the moment or likley to be like in the next few months?

I have spoken to recruiters who reckon I'll be able to get a job ok but wouldn't mind some independent advice.

Cheers

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:35 am

British qualified ?

yes, then 50 % chance

British work expereince, yes then + 50 % chance to get job in 3 months

otherwise - huge uncertainity based on luck

Chipungu
Newly Registered

Post by Chipungu » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:12 am

i am an acca member which agents do you recommend i use.

mincolt
Newly Registered

Post by mincolt » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:03 pm

I'm an accountant too, i've been working in the UK for a year now. My agent told me to stay put for now. Says there are very few jobs out there at the moment. good luck!

Snoozles

Post by Snoozles » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:20 pm

mincolt wrote:I'm an accountant too, i've been working in the UK for a year now. My agent told me to stay put for now. Says there are very few jobs out there at the moment. good luck!
Hey Mincolt

Thank you for your reply. When I posted a similar post, not many people that already are in the UK replied.

Can you please tell me if it may be quicker to find a job out of london, than in london? I.e. If I go to Leeds - will it be a bit faster to find a job?

Regards

s_saini
India

Post by s_saini » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:59 pm

I am a software developer working on .net technologies in India.

I am going to relocat to london in jan 2009.

Can any one help me out about the job prospectus in IT industory........

mincolt
Newly Registered

Post by mincolt » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:02 am

Snoozles wrote:
mincolt wrote:I'm an accountant too, i've been working in the UK for a year now. My agent told me to stay put for now. Says there are very few jobs out there at the moment. good luck!
Hey Mincolt

Thank you for your reply. When I posted a similar post, not many people that already are in the UK replied.

Can you please tell me if it may be quicker to find a job out of london, than in london? I.e. If I go to Leeds - will it be a bit faster to find a job?

Regards
I'm not sure what the situation is like outside of london. the best thing i can say is save up your money and be prepared to live cheap until you find a job. good luck!

jhp

Post by jhp » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:15 am

s_saini wrote:I am a software developer working on .net technologies in India.

I am going to relocat to london in jan 2009.

Can any one help me out about the job prospectus in IT industory........

Job prospects in many industries are not good and will not be good for some time. I recommend reading the news in websites like bbc.co.uk, timesonline.co.uk to have a understanding of the uk employment situation.Recession is looming , the uk is already in a recession some may say.

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:26 am

TRY out of london

there is huge supply in london compare to other parts 70: 30

but in nutshell yr std of living will worse off compare to to yr home country

Snoozles

Post by Snoozles » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:22 pm

Sushil-ACCA wrote:TRY out of london

there is huge supply in london compare to other parts 70: 30

but in nutshell yr std of living will worse off compare to to yr home country
Thank you so much for your and everbody's replies.

What is the expected salary for somebody that works outside of London, that has a bachelors degree in accounting with 5 years experience?

Any estimates would be appreciated. On the internet I get estimates of anything from 11,000 per year to 35,000 a year??? That doesn't help much.

Thank you for your help!

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:20 am

There is always a need for qualified bean counters BUT the job market is getting worse by the day. The range of salaries matches with the range of jobs. Your experience matters as does your knowledge.

Better paid jobs are in generally in tax
Lower paid jobs are in audit

No doubt people will argue with the above.

The big question is how many jobs are going to be lost in the UK due to the banking crises and the knock on affect on the bigger accounting firms. This will release a fair number of qualified accountants onto the job market which will depress the salaries companies need to offer. That assumes people are being taken on!

There is the secondary issue of employing non EEA staff; many companies are shying away from using non EEA staff as there are far greater implications if they fall foul of the immigration laws. I was at a very large airline recently and they said they would NO LONGER consider non EEA staff. Not worth the effort or risk. The HR manager was very clear that they expected to be offering 10-15% less starting salary for a wide range of roles. Demand for staff was reducing but the supply of candidates was increasing. Good old economic theory at it's best.

Not the best time to come to the UK but certainly not impossible to get a well paid role IF you have the skill set.