ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Nationality by Naturalization for a 3 year old

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

imma8080
India

British Nationality by Naturalization for a 3 year old

Post by imma8080 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:30 pm

Hello,

I went through some articles in the forum but couldn't find one, please refer me to the link if this is already answered.

I, my wife and my 3 year old son got our Indefinite Leave to Remain in September 2020.

I came to the UK with Tier 2 General Visa and my wife in Tier 2 dependant. My son was born outside of UK in 2018 and at the time of his birth, neither of us had ILR so I assume that I can't "register" him as a British Citizen.

We all three got ILR in September 2020 and I was filling up the application form for naturalisation and when I add him as an "Additional applicant" along with my wife, the page prompts to enter his last 5 years stay in the UK.

Looking at the link today , https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-in ... r-children

It says that I need to apply separately for him. Can someone please shed some light on this?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: British Nationality by Naturalization for a 3 year old

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:45 pm

Just fill in the one address for the three years (or five years) to allow you to continue with input (I believe that solves).
Caseworkers will know the child is only three years old.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

imma8080
India

Post by imma8080 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:26 pm

Hello - Thank you for the response, I do see this note in the MN1. Does this mean, I can "register" my son as British Citizen rathen than applying for British nationality as the British Application that I will be making in September is for myself + wife + son.

Children born abroad to parents who are applying for British citizenship

Where one or both parents are applying for British citizenship they may apply for
one or more children who are not automatically British at birth (see “Automatic
acquisition of British citizenship” above) to be registered as British citizens as part of
a “family application”. Children in this category will be considered at the Home
Secretary’s discretion and will usually be registered only if both the parents are
granted or already hold British citizenship, or if one parent holds British citizenship
and the other is settled in the UK.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:31 pm

You can register him.
Adults get naturalised (Form AN) - Children get registered (form MN1). There is no choice between the two for children.
As part of your application you add him to your adult applications as an "under 18" and the system will adapt to MN1.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

imma8080
India

Post by imma8080 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:33 pm

Yes you are absolutely right, I can see from the home page:

Apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen
Mr. Father

Apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen
Mrs. Mother

but for the son, it listed "Apply for registration of a child under 18 as a British citizen"

Apply for registration of a child under 18 as a British citizen
Mr.Son

Thank you very much for your assistance and expertise.