ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Resident Permit Application(UK)...PLEASE ADVISE!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Zufan
Newly Registered

EEA Resident Permit Application(UK)...PLEASE ADVISE!

Post by Zufan » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:50 am

Hi everyone.

I am an American married to an Austrian citizen (EU national )and both of us are living in London . My wife has applied for the EEA national resident I.D. card . And i as her spouse have applied for the spouse residence permit .

The agonzing wait continues...it is it has now been 13 weeks since we applied and every week that i call them they tell me the application has not been looked at but that it is in the department that is going to look at it ( in other words its in a que ) . When i called last friday, the lady told me to write a follow up letter asking that they expedite the process...although i understand there is no fast track method for EEA residence permits .

Will this letter requesting they expedite the process really help ??

Home Office have sent us the initial letter saying they have recieved our applications along with a reference number but the problem is that i will need to travel back to the states in the next 30 days and i am afraid that i will not get my passport in time.

I know i can " pull " my passport and ask the home office to return it but that would ofcourse prematurely short circuit the whol application process .

Could any one offer any advice on this ?
ALso does anyone know where i can get a sample letter to send to the Home Office requesting that they expedite our application ( if that is at all possible ) .
I know Home Office says it could take longer than 13 weeks but i am growing very anxious at the fact that i may not be able to travel next month . Also i would like to apply for a UK drivers license before my International Drivers Lincese expires in a couple months. I understand its easier to apply for UK license while still having a valid International License .
Wife and i have been in London now for 10 months . I initially was given a one year multiple entrance visa which is still good for another 2 months .

Thanks in advance
Zufan

pedro_soto
Newly Registered

Post by pedro_soto » Tue May 10, 2005 10:00 am

Hi Zufan,
There is a number of people (including me) with the same issue on topic:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=3877

Maybe it will help you
:D

Zufan
Newly Registered

Post by Zufan » Tue May 10, 2005 11:39 am

Thanks for your help Pedro.
I am happy to say that i have recieved my residence permit. It took 2.5 months of wait time in total.
Cheers
Zufan

pedro_soto
Newly Registered

Post by pedro_soto » Tue May 10, 2005 12:04 pm

Hi Zufan,
That must be such a relief.. I am happy things turned all right for u.
Did you actually sent a letter requesting they expedite the process?
good luck!

Zufan
Newly Registered

Post by Zufan » Tue May 10, 2005 12:41 pm

The day that i was going to mail that letter asking they expedite, i decided to call them one last time...and bingo, they said my application was approved and already mailed out..so i didnt need to mail the letter.

Hope your wait is not a long one..i guess in the end its worth it, you never have to deal with them for FIVE LONG YEARS hehe.

Until later
Zu.

Zufan
Newly Registered

Post by Zufan » Tue May 10, 2005 12:44 pm

By the way...I have now sent my passport to DVLA to get my provisional drivers license...hope that wont be another agonizing wait.

Cheers

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue May 10, 2005 2:44 pm

Zufan, too late for you but others applying for a UK driving licence might like to note that instead of posting the application to Swansea you can go in person to a local DVLA office, as per :-

Map of local DVLA offices

I think it is the case that they will photocopy your passport and hand it straight back to you.
John

Zufan
Newly Registered

Post by Zufan » Tue May 10, 2005 4:00 pm

Hi John.

That only works if you have a UK passport.

Cheers
Zu.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue May 10, 2005 4:20 pm

Zufan, are you sure?

I am not talking about the Post Office checking service .... that is clearly only available to holders of a UK passport.
John

Zufan
Newly Registered

Post by Zufan » Tue May 10, 2005 5:33 pm

Yes very sure...

I personally went down to the DVLA branch office in Wimbeldon because i couldnt find anyone to sign the back of my photo...if you walk into a branch they will sign it for you after they check your passport, but they do NOT return your passport straight away..i have been told the wait time could be anywhere between 2-4 weeks.

Gawd...and i will need to go to the States in 4.5 weeks

Fingers crossed
Zu.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue May 10, 2005 6:11 pm

OK, I stand corrected. They seem to have changed their procedure from a few years ago.
John

meham
Newly Registered

Post by meham » Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 pm

zufan im confused first you say you have been waiting 13weeks on april 11, then you say you got you resident permit the waiting time was 2.5 month. can you please clearify.thanks

Zufan
Newly Registered

Post by Zufan » Wed May 11, 2005 1:13 am

Hi
Sorry..that was a typo..it did take 3.5 months not 2.5.