ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need to travel just after naturalisation ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Marishres

Need to travel just after naturalisation ceremony

Post by Marishres » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:55 pm

Hi I had my naturalisation ceremony today and I was not aware that we need to submit the BRP within 5 days after Naturalisation. The problem here is I have booked holiday to visit my family abroad and my flight is next week. Is there any problem if I dont submit my BRP while boarding and returning Uk. Do anyone have this situation.
Many Thankx in advance

teddybear79

Re: Need to travel just after naturalisation ceremony

Post by teddybear79 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:37 pm

your brp card is no longer valid , you cannot return on this brp card :-)

Marishres

Post by Marishres » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:48 pm

Any options ?Can I use my naturalisation certificate?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:03 am

There is a nominal risk of you getting charged £1000 if you do not return the BRP within 5 days of the naturalisation ceremony. However, we have not heard of anybody actually getting fined that amount.
teddybear79 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:37 pm
your brp card is no longer valid , you cannot return on this brp card :-)
That is true. But in this case, the BRP serves the purpose of allowing the OP to board a flight back to the UK. While the BRP (or more accurately the underlying ILR) is invalidated by the naturalisation ceremony, the airline will allow the OP to board the flight.

Once the OP is at the UK border (at the sea/airport), the Immigration Officer will be able to verify that they are a British citizen and will let them through.

To the OP: be aware that there may be significant delays at the British airport after arrival while the Immigration Officers check your immigration status, if you are not carrying a British passport.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Marishres

Post by Marishres » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:36 am

thank you Simon.