ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Petition EU // visa-free-travel for EU-Family members

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi all,

the >>petition<< is now registered with the European Parliament.

If you would like to support it, please send a postcard or a letter.
  • Include a short sentence of why you support it.
  • Include your full name and address :!:
  • The Petition# is 1279-08.
  • The recipient is:
    • Secretariat of the Committee on Petitions
      European Parliament
      rue Wirtz
      1047 Brussels
      Belgium
Please post your support in here as well :)

Last edited by ca.funke on Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:07 pm

Hey all I shall send a short letter in support of your petition....bout time we all start showing them what we are made off!

Richard can you send me your petition number aswell would like to send my support for that as well!

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:14 pm

ciaramc wrote:...Richard can you send me your petition number aswell would like to send my support for that as well!
same here :!:

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:28 pm

Chris;

like some info....I'm appealing my husbands refused Residence permit....here in Italy! Just awaiting the judges decision....I asked SOLVIT if the judge does not grant him his permit could we go through them....was told basically no! So can you maybe send me some info on how to take it higher ....the EU court maybe. I've already sent emails to all I could ....just waiting a responce! getting anxious now!!!

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:28 pm

Sorry about highjacking....the post!!

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:34 am

This is specifically for Ireland but I am sure it could be helpful to you as well.

Enforcement of European Union rights

http://ec.europa.eu/ireland/general_inf ... dex_en.htm

Tobbe

Post by Tobbe » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:41 am

Excellent work Chris, thank you!

Sent today:

"Secretariat of the Committee on Petitions
European Parliament
Rue Wiertz
1047 Brussels
Belgium

Re: Support of petition #1279-08

Dear Sir or Madam,

I write to you in support of the petition #1279-08 “visa-free-travel for EU-
Family membersâ€

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:28 am

archigabe wrote:This is specifically for Ireland but I am sure it could be helpful to you as well.

Enforcement of European Union rights

http://ec.europa.eu/ireland/general_inf ... dex_en.htm
A similar text without reference to a particular member state is here http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/nav/en/c ... ex_en.html .

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:24 pm

I shall look up the petition number and post it, besides also sending my support to your petition.

I also sent a complaint to the European Commission. Maybe some of you would like to support that too.

My situation is even more dramatic. My wife is expecting a baby who won't be Italian (because neither of us is) and won't be British, because I am British by descent and it doesn't seem I fit even in the special cases stated in the Nationality Act. It looks like he'll need to naturalise himself Russian and what a hassle being a small Russian will be! Will he have his Residence card too at 2 months? We could of course go to the UK, but it involves applying for the EEA FP and going just before the child is born, hoping the airline will let a pregnant woman board.

Ciaramc, what you should do is to write a tough letter, complaining about your situation, underlining that the Italian authorities are in breach of EU law and send it to EVERYBODY, from President Napolitano to the chimneysweep. Do that and you'll see how the tune changes.

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:02 am

My petition number (European Parliament) is 1307/2207

My complaint number (European Commission) is 2008/4161, SG (2007) A/9244/2

Both state that my wife and I were denied boarding by the airline because the Embassy in Rome had told them that my wife would have been denied entry without a visa or an EEA FP. Afterwards they wrote me a letter saying she would have been admitted and that the Visa/EEA FP was really for the airline's benefit.

I say that at first the UK wanted my to apply for a visa, because we were only returning to the UK on a visit. After a lot of protests this point was changed and such a visit was allowed.

I quote the documents requested to apply for this phoney visa (EEA FP) far in excess, I protest about the biometric nonsense, about the fact we needed to go to Rome and that I, as a British Citizen, could obtain no informnation from my own Embassy and that I needed to call a "commercial partner" and pay for it too.

I mention Solvit UK was completely useless, bcking the UK government's actions and looking silly when the UK admitted we could go on a visit. Solvit Italy was duped by Solvit UK to say that my wife could not go to the UK under EU law if the purpose were only for a visit.

I quote a letter from the European Commission that says the UK is wrong and that they are being investigated.

I ask the powers to be to compel the UK to respect the rights of free movement of EEA family members.

I sent a pile of documents 5 feet high to prove my point.

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:34 pm

Support for petition written, signed by my wife and I and placed in a closed envelope, just waiting to go to the post-office. Here is what we wrote:
I am writing you in support of Petition 1279/08 on the

Rights of non-EEA family members of EEA citizens to travel freely in the territory of the EEA when in possession of a valid residence card and when accompanying or joining the EEA family member.

My wife and I have been sorely hit by the UK’s refusal to transpose Directive 2004/38 correctly into national law, refusing to recognise the validity of residence cards issued by other EEA states for the purpose of visa-free travel. This has imposed on us an unreasonable burden, effectively denying us rights of free movement, as we can go neither to the UK nor to Ireland without her first obtaining a visa.

I am a British citizen by descent exercising treaty rights in Italy and am therefore covered by EEA legislation, while my wife is Russian.

My wife is now pregnant and this refusal on the part of the UK authorities to allow visa-free travel for us will result in our child being born in Italy, therefore having neither claim to British or to Italian citizenship.

We have filed a petition with this Parliament on the same subject, under number 1307/2007, as well as submitting a complaint to the European Commission under number 2008/4161, SG (2007) A/9244/2.
Let's see how it goes!

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:44 pm

Sent!

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:32 pm

Hello all,

Something is not clear to me, I read a message here from someone saying he was told that if his in possession of a FAMILY RESIDENT CARD OF EU then he or she doesnt need a visa for a short stay in the UK if going together with the spouse.
So does that mean one can go to the UK with the spouse without visa or what ?
and cant the EU commission do something abt this UK EEA things or are they all scared of UK because even this UK happens to be one of the most useless country in Europe with the way people complain abt the britishs....its just the salary rate there that makes it better..

This is what is said in the UK home office site and copy of the link..

http://ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizen ... sibilites/

Family members who are not EEA or Swiss nationals:
If your family members are not EEA or Swiss nationals and they are coming to live with you permanently or on a long-term basis, they will need to apply for an EEA family permit before coming to the United Kingdom. The EEA family permit is similar to a visa and is issued by UK Visa Services. Your family members should make an application for an EEA family permit at their nearest British diplomatic post.

According to what I read there which says if going "permanently or for a long time" then a visa is needed but I think if going for short stay then visa is not needed (less than 3 months).
well they are called english and I bet thats the meaning of what wrote means.

Anyway guys let me hear from you and RICHARD66 you can also use whats said abt long time or permanent staying thing to add up ur complains...............if there UK EEA thing is cancelled or whatever..
Charles4u

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:25 pm

Indeed, I could use this and send yet another couple of letters, the first to the European Parliament, the other to the European Commission. I could also send it to T.G. at the British Embassy in Rome. She's the one who wrote me, telling me the EEA FP was for the airline's benefit, because Immigration would let us pass. :x

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:34 pm

Wow really...U mean the immigration from the UK airport would let u pass tru?

Cus if the problem is the airline them I dont think I have problem with that as there are many airline who will even beg u to fly with them.
Well maybe a delay but after showing them the proves and stuff ...I'm sure might work out but guys should I try to go with my wife since am sure I dont have problem with the airline?

Kindly advice me...
Charles4u

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:47 pm

Yes, TRY!!! Call the UK's Bluff!

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:34 pm

Who is UK bluff cus I dont understand ...

I called couple of airlines and they said I need and surely if I call UK they will tell me I need ...

my wifes NATIONAL INSURANCE number is taking almost 4 months and its not out yet ...I dont just know what to do to all this stress and delays.
Charles4u

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:38 pm

Don't you know what bluff is?

Are you saying no airline will let you board? Tough. Try showing them the UK Regulations.

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:32 pm

Concerning what Charles4u wrote:
Something is not clear to me, I read a message here from someone saying he was told that if his in possession of a FAMILY RESIDENT CARD OF EU then he or she doesnt need a visa for a short stay in the UK if going together with the spouse.
So does that mean one can go to the UK with the spouse without visa or what ?
I shall be sending the following tomorrow to the British Embassy in Rome and copies to the European Parliament and to the European Commission:
As you will recall, we were in contact last year concerning the UK’s singular transposition of EU Directive 2004/38 (Statutory Instrument 2006 No. 1003). The UK, contrary to the Directive, denies the right for non-EEA family members of EEA citizens (and of UK citizens exercising treaty rights) to enter the UK without a visa if in possession of a Residence Card issued by an EEA state other than the UK.

We have noticed, reading the Internet site of the UK Border Agency, more precisely page http://ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizen ... nsibilites , the following text, which, to the best of our knowledge, is recent. Please accept our apologies if we are mistaken:

Family members who are not EEA or Swiss nationals
If your family members are not EEA or Swiss nationals and they are coming to live with you permanently or on a long-term basis, they will need to apply for an EEA family permit before coming to the United Kingdom. The EEA family permit is similar to a visa and is issued by UK Visa Services. Your family members should make an application for an EEA family permit at their nearest British diplomatic post.
For your convenience, please find a printout of the text attached.
Are we to understand that the UK Government has finally realised its interpretation of the EU Directive is not acceptable and that non-EEA family members accompanying or joining EEA citizens no longer need to apply for an EEA Family Permit and that they may travel to the UK with only a valid passport and Residence Card?

In our case, it would be my wife's Italian Residence Card, clearly stating her relationship to me. In addition to this, should it prove necessary, we also have a copy of our multilingual marriage certificate that was deposited at the UK General Registrar Office.

What does seem strange, however, and contrary to the Directive, is that the EEA Family Permit still seems to be required by non-EEA family members wishing to live or to stay for a long period in the UK.

We look forward to hearing from you,

Yours sincerely,
:twisted:

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:46 am

Pls contact them for me and at the same time I cant wait any longer so I want to apply for the EEA UK permit thing and I hope they give me.

How is ur pettition going and whats the result.?

Thanks alot Richard...
Charles4u

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:48 am

Hello guys, I wanted to go visit hungary and I called them if I needed a visa and they said I can go with just me FAMILY MEMBER CARD and my PASSPORT aloneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

I dont know the problem with this UK and IRELAND ...
Charles4u

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:00 am

I made this complaint today.

My name is Charles and am a national of Nigeria but currently residing in Romania,I am married here in Romania with a Romanian citizen.

My wife works in the UK and I wanted to go visit her but I found out I even needed a visa which is called EEA permit for family members of EU citizen but according to The Directive 2004/38/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 29 April 2004 on the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely (Freedom of movement for workers) within the territory of the Member States defines the right of free movement for citizens of the European Economic Area (EEA), which includes the European Union (EU).

The UK even told me at the embassy it takes 5days for me to get a response and they will call me to let me know, even the fact they are now breaking the EU law they are even asking for so much papers and evidence for the visa to be granted such as phone calls records bills for the communication made before getting married.

It is totally unlawful, I wouldnt know why just UK and the IRELAND are still asking for visa for family members of an EU even with a valid RESIDENCE CARD FOR FAMILY MEMBERS, All the rest of the EU member countries says no visa need if going to join or accompanying your spouse to the EU member country of destination.

So in this case, family member of UK or IRELAND can travel visa-free to the other EU countries? well this is totally unfair and give or bring out the opinion that its like UK is the one controlling the EU laws and parliament for them to be able to go against the law.

My opinion is either the both countries cancel the EEA permit or the UK and the IRELAND should be wildrawn from the EU membership.

I hope we get a good result.
Charles4u

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:01 pm

Charles,

I'm not sure if your situation is covered by directive 2004/38. As I understand from your description your wife works (and lives) in the UK, while you are living in Romania (where your wife originates from). I assume you have a residence permit issued by Romania, but is this on the basis of Romanian national law or on the basis of European law?
Basically, directive 2004/38 grants you the right to live with your wife in whatever EEA country the two of you choose to settle in, but it does not cover the case where you live in different countries.

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:08 pm

fysicus wrote:Charles,

I'm not sure if your situation is covered by directive 2004/38. As I understand from your description your wife works (and lives) in the UK, while you are living in Romania (where your wife originates from). I assume you have a residence permit issued by Romania, but is this on the basis of Romanian national law or on the basis of European law?
Basically, directive 2004/38 grants you the right to live with your wife in whatever EEA country the two of you choose to settle in, but it does not cover the case where you live in different countries.

Well thanks for your words but what can I do when I cant go to the UK with my RESIDENCE CARD FOR FAMILY MEMBERS and they dont wanna give me the EEA permit things as the consider our marriage is too early for them maybe we should have lives together for 2 yrs b4 getting married.

Anyway ..whatever happens we will relocate somewhere else and thx alot for ur contribution.
Charles4u

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:28 pm

are you saying the British Embassy in Romania actually rejected your application for an EEA Family Permit?
That would almost certainly be a violation of British law: see http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2006/20061003.htm#12
Alternatively, you can try to enter UK as a Commonwealth citizen, but I have no knowledge of any regulations relating to that