ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage Visitor Visa help

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Astronomyphilly
Newly Registered
England

Marriage Visitor Visa help

Post by Astronomyphilly » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:28 pm

Hi guys,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place but here goes..

As per my older post I didn't actually get out to Russia, would you believe it the flight ban came into effect as we were about to taxi out. I couldn't, we couldn't have been more depressed and upset.

Well, months on and I still haven't been out there, flights, work, borders, covid horseshit etc so she's decided to come here, on a marriage visa and we'll simply get it done and dusted and go from there.
My questions surround the mass of conflicting information online, on here or I've had in person so I'm hoping for advice frok anyone in the know or who has been through it recently, and hopefully this will help others in future too.

We've been through the Gov site together again and again and it does seem pretty straightforward yet when you read here or elsewhere it seems anything but, a nightmare in fact.

Evidence of intent to marry and relationship well we have what's app screenshots for various important things, discussing marriage, travel, birthdays etc etc. She has my Russian visa, CNI and Apostille that we would have used there. Is that enough? She also has a child, owns her apartment and so I'm hoping that's evidence enough she'll return including those documents?
Regards an actual wedding though or intent I'm struggling. The registry office here in Leeds ( which I believe is one of the designated ones that can marry us ) has stated time and again they cannot and will not help me with any sort of confirmation of wedding or notice booking especially if it for visa purposes?

Exact words being "Unfortunately as discussed I am unable to issue you with any confirmation regarding wedding bookings or notice bookings"

So what do I do? We can include this little email trail showing I've tried, maybe find the call log and screenshot that but is it enough? Or do I lie, pretend she is here already, book an appointment for when I think she will be and she can use the confirmation of that which I assume they'd send me? Surely I get confirmation if I pay for something?

I lost my job during the covid scam and so that in itself is a worry but I've savings and can certainly look after us both for a few weeks. I know for future and if this was a Spouse visa, if we intend to stay here, that screws the financial requirements but for a marriage visitor visa there is none am I right? And even if I didn't earn the required amount in future, say you're on minimum wage, that doesn't stop it being granted does it, it just changes the settlement thing to 10 years and not 5 am I right?
It's another masisve issue I'm not clear at all on, I could happily support us on minimum wage, and of course she'd be working then too, but it's not the £18k they want to see is it. Is it really that cruel and would stop many many people being with their family because you don't earn 'x' but clearly earn enough?

I think that's it for now, I absolutely appreciate all help and advice and I'll keep it updated of progress for everyone else who may be tackling this.

Thank you all in advance,

Phillip

Astronomyphilly
Newly Registered
England

Re: Marriage Visitor Visa help

Post by Astronomyphilly » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:12 pm

If anyone can help or offer advice I'd greatly appreciate it. I should add she's a perfect travel history, been abroad plenty, no trouble etc.

I'm just a little lost, we both are. Masses of conflicting information and stories. I just want to make the best case I can, she can and I'm struggling on the above.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:16 pm

1. She cannot switch to a spouse visa if she comes to the UK on a marriage visitor visa. The rules do not permit it. If you want her to stay, get marry and be able to switch within the UK to a spouse visa, you should apply for the more expensive fiance visa (£1523). If she intends to bring her child, she also has to prove sole responsibility with official documents.

2. The financial requirement of £18,600pa) is mandatory, with evidence for a minimum of 6 months (payslips and bank statements). Without this,the visa will likely be refused.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Astronomyphilly
Newly Registered
England

Post by Astronomyphilly » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:25 pm

Thank you.

With me not working, well not as much because of the way things are a spouse visa is out of the question. This was for the future an issue I wondered about as I'm not even certain I want to stay in the UK. Again, savings, a lot, but that doesn't count as it's not the £62k to negate all this.
However just to throw it in I was told if you don't meet the £18k then you could still apply to settle in 10 rather than 5 years? This is even stated on the Government website but never really discussed anywhere. Anyone shed light on that?

So as is ( if we can't get light on the above) is she'll apply for the marriage visitor visa but again, what can we show? The registry office said the above and that they cannot and will not provide confirmation of appointments. What do we do?

Having a son and home is hopefully enough to show shell leave but to prove were getting married in the first place ..?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:29 pm

Evidence of emails and enquiries with the registry are sufficient. It booked appointment is not required.

It is very rare for a 10 year route visa to be granted from outside the UK and the very small Humber that have been granted to members in the forum have involved small children stuck abroad with their foreign parent. The 10 year route is based on private and family life.

As newly married, UKVI will argue that you can relocate to her country if you don't meet the spouse visa requirements, especially as you appear to have a visa for russia

Does she work in her home country?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Astronomyphilly
Newly Registered
England

Post by Astronomyphilly » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:38 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:29 pm
Evidence of emails and enquiries with the registry are sufficient. It booked appointment is not required.

It is very rare for a 10 year route visa to be granted from outside the UK and the very small Humber that have been granted to members in the forum have involved small children stuck abroad with their foreign parent. The 10 year route is based on private and family life.

As newly married, UKVI will argue that you can relocate to her country if you don't meet the spouse visa requirements, especially as you appear to have a visa for russia

Does she work in her home country?
Thank you that is helpful. Haven't read that anywhere. I earn below the £18k required now so rather than waste a heap of money and time on that and counting on this mysterious 10 year thing, let's get a marriage visa, get it done, see each other again and go from there.

Thank you for clearing that up it's never really been made clear and seems it would have been a wasted application. Allnit stays is 'may' grant you leave to remain in 10 if you don't meet the requirement. What that involves or depends upon it doesn't say, so thanks for clearing that up.

She does work over there, and I do have a Russian visa still but it is about to expire. It just seems a lot easier, quicker and less expensive for her to come here than me spend weeks if not months getting another visa for Russia

Astronomyphilly
Newly Registered
England

Post by Astronomyphilly » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:59 pm

Great, if emails and the like suffice all good. I was told get evidence of your marriage booking or notice but they outright refuse to give me anything confirming either.
So we've these along with my CNI and Apostille from when we tried to get married in Russia (covid screwed it) copy my visas, all her translated documents, child's and those for the house. And WhatsApp screenshots of important conversations. Is that enough, people say it's not?

The child and home would be enough to show she's returning surely? Also cares for her mom.
There is a letter from me explaining she's staying with me, ill support her etc, the wedding plans, how it went wrong last year and roughly how long she'll be here. I'm guessing 5 or 6 weeks at least depending on when they can marry us. Unless of course like in Russia they will do it quicker but seems we don't do that, it's 7 days wait, apply then the usual 28.

We'll then either travel back and forth, I may move or maybe a spouse visa if my working circumstances change.
I'm curious to know what happens to those who have family, partner etc but earn mimimum wage? They're simply never allowed to be together over here? Yeh you might not earn 18k but you can look after your family and they will be working too. Seems highly unfair and discriminatory to set that above the minimum wage for the country.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:06 pm

Many partners worked 2 or 3 jobs in order to meet the financial requirement to bring their family to the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Astronomyphilly
Newly Registered
England

Post by Astronomyphilly » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:52 pm

Absolutely, you do what you need to do, I guess we all would.

I was just thinking those that can't for one reason or another, disability etc it just seems a bit discriminatory to deny them thier family because you don't earn some arbitrary number. But then again this last year has shown the government don't really give a shit about human rights do they..

Anyway rant over. If the above is all good and enough to apply a marriage visa that's great, I really appreciate the help and certainly have cleared a few things up for me. I guess it's our best option for now. Anyones further input or whose been through this is still most welcome.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:54 pm

There are different requirements for those who claim certain benefits due to disability who then apply under the adequate maintenance provision.
Char (CR001 not Casa)